ViolinPlayer123's Duckumentary!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ViolinPlayer123, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks? Decent chapter on common illnesses, including insect-borne.

If I come across anything else I will share here.

2. cawtlc

cawtlc Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2015
    Unity. nh
    I don't. I'm such an online reader! I really appreciate the responses. I was so hoping that I was doing something so ridiculously stupid that one of you would call me out on it! I'd rather be totally ignorant on something and learn than to never know what it was at all.....

3. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    We may yet sift out a detail to which we will all say, "why did we not see that from the start???" It happens.

Look up leucocytozoon disease in waterfowl.

Also aspergillosis
    coccidiosis
    duck virus enteritis
    streptococcosis (difficult to diagnose, so this sent up a flag for me, though often seemingly healthy birds die - not sounding like your issue)
    pesticide exposure

Is there anything in the house that might have weakened the immune system? Was there recently finished furniture using MinWax, might there have been something moldy (aspergillosis)?

4. cawtlc

Apr 26, 2015
    Unity. nh
    My initial thought most recently was the aspergillosis. Maybe the water they splashed froze in the hay and molded? I'll do some more reading. I just wish my vet had been able to help more.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Aspergilosis is fungal, and fungal diseases are crazy-difficult for most medical professionals to be sure of. I studied fungi for a semester. Wow.

There are some basic facts that help - unlike bacteria, fungi do not culture within 24 hours, it can take days.

Do a web search for the Majestic Waterfowl Newsletter story about Laddy, who had asper.

6. cawtlc

Apr 26, 2015
    Unity. nh
    Thank you so much for all of your response, I truly, truly appreciate it!

7. ViolinPlayer123

ViolinPlayer123 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 26, 2015
    Minnesota
    @Stacykins
    @BantamFan4Life
    @Blackberry18
    @Lozuufy
    @Bridebeliever
    @HannahDuckLover
    @Tevyes Dad
    @Frindizzle
    @Miss Lydia
    @Mountain Peeps
    @Chook-Girl
    Ok to get us back on subject... I received and "Thank You for You Order" letter today!!!!! I can't wait! They said they will try to ship them on the 21st or I will be put on a waiting list! No, I don't want a waiting list!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  8. Chook-Girl

Chook-Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    Thank you for inviting me!
    I just can't believe that you're getting ducks. Good luck, but don't ask me any questions because I've never raised ducks before. It looks like fun! I hope you don't lose any. Keep us updated because I'm so happy for you. Thanks! [​IMG]

9. cawtlc

Apr 26, 2015
    Unity. nh
    The more I read about aspergillus, the more I think this is what it is.
    Sadly, Hannah passed away yesterday. I think perhaps she had an issue last year and her immunity was just never up to snuff, and she was always "just getting by" and I didn't know that. I am so very sad for her mate, Howard. I'm going to call my vet and see if they will do a necropsy, but not sure if they will/can.

10. Chook-Girl

Chook-Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2013
    I'm so sorry! [​IMG] You should get another duck so that Howard will not be lonely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by