Virginia

well, i'm on generator power at the moment, AEP is saying possibly july 7 to get my power back... just put turkey, red dorking and coturnix quail in the hatcher for a july 2 due date.

we did have power problems yesterday, which caused problems with my hatch that was due, but got a black, 3 mille fleur and 1 'mixed flock' bantam cochins out of 16 eggs... slightly disappointing but file that under 'manure' happens. the incubators are still going strong tho, just the hatcher had a problem, since it was on another power strip accidentally. just reminded myself to put water back in the hatcher... LOL too many things going on today/tonight.

went and got gas for gennies, camp stove and propane for cooking, dinner (since it was late and i didn't have the camp stove yet), etc. then had to put a tent over one of the generators because it was starting to rain, feed the dogs, put up the chicks that don't know where 'home' is yet (or too stubborn to listen), and the list goes on....

so we've got a/c, or the well, but not both same time, fridge and chest freezer on the big generator. internet (satellite, so only power dependent), computers, phone, fans, incubators and lights on the small gennie. at 15 gallons of gas a day, i hope they don't push this all the way to the 7th. going to be one crappy (and hot) 4th of july.

Last edited:
We were very lucky. Seems we are the only ones around with power.That was one big %$%$ storm .The one that came through Monday did some damage though.

The storm last night was crazy! 2 of my dogs are terrified of thunder and were pacing and shaking all night. The storm on friday night had horrible wind. My BIL (who lives close to us) heard reports of a tornado and came over to help us evac the dogs if we needed to. Turned out there was no tornado, just 80 mph wind gusts. No damage around here. I just saw some branches down.

I'm hearing thunder again this morning. We've been lucky enough not to loose power (knocks on wood).

well, we're going on 48 hours no juice... generators are still kicking along. battery backup on the incubators so that when hubby shuts them down tonight to check oil levels they won't flicker a bit...

apco is saying july 7... i hope that's the 'worst case' scenario. had to break into the 'shed fund' to pay for gas today. we'll get the second shed build someday. maybe.

I really wish I was close enough to help you out!!! Hang in there.
oh i'm hangin'. lol

my biggest worry right now (besides will the electric ever come back) is one of my mille cochin chicks... decided to go for a swim in the pond the other day, got chilled and then burned all her reserves trying to stay warm apparently. went from normal chick to skin and bones almost overnight. so now she's inside, in a travel cage and prompted to eat every time i turn around justabout. right now she's sitting on my desk chowing down on warm soaked chick feed. first time she's filled her crop in a while.

I south of Front Royal In Warren co. Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. we flicked a lot and lost internet. tv cable and winds tore up our shade cover for the hammock all the flower pots on ground. but my son and daughter stayed out in storm putting everything away in our houses. how much damage did you all get.in your co's?

roanoke and montgomery co had primarily wind and tree damage, tho i did see some structural damage where trees landed on houses, or wind peeled off metal roofing (sheds mostly). lots of large trees down on power lines and in the roadways.

besides power, the only loss for me, was a couple empty trash cans (don't know where they went) and all my hanging feeders full of chick or layer feed got dumped out and scattered to who knows where. LOL so maybe 40 pounds of feed lost (4 mostly full 12 pound feeders). but i just bought grain so i'm good for another week or so. just cracked open 100 pound bags each of layer pellets and chick crumbles. wish they'd make a chick pellet for all my free range guys. crumbles are wasteful.

Hi everyone,

Arlington County's a mess. So many trees down on people's houses and cars, giant branches everywhere. We were very lucky- no damage at all and got our power back yesterday. Threw out all the perishables in the fridge- that was painful, but took the opportunity to clean it out and now the inside looks like new!

We spent the night at a friend's house Saturday night, it was getting pretty miserable at our place. Charged our cell phones and checked email. Lots of folks in the DC area still don't have power, businesses included. Local Post Office was only selling stamps- system down, Target opened today and my daughter said it smelled bad, only one grocery store out of the 5 near us is open.

The storm was crazy- we knew it was coming from watching the weather online, but it was still something when it hit. The lightning looked blue and green!

At least I didn't have to worry about chickens- we are still working on changing the ordinances...

Hope everyone is else is doing well.

Back
Top Bottom