Virginia

We're pretty new to chickens, but we live about 10 minutes from Gilmanor!

welcome-byc.gif

Hope to see you there! Welcome aboard!!

I SO love broodies with their babies!!!!!

I have 4 broodies that I gave eggs to when they were to go into lockdown. They hatched yesterday (mostly, some hatched Saturday) I have a pair of Barnevelders that are just so fun to watch with their new chicks. They have teamed up to raise the 6 chicks. One provides warmth while the other one shows them how to eat while on a hair trigger with the ninja smackdown if any other chickens comes too close. Too darn adorable.

The chicks are Maradunna basque and Rhodebar from shipped eggs. and a couple of barnies from my own girls.

This Welsummer decided she HAD to set in the goat house. so I let her, but I fenced her in with hay bales. she now has 4 chicks under her: Maradunna basque and what I think might be Silver Sussex.

they all are letting me reach in and check eggs and chicks without getting too crochety...but are flying off the handle if it is another chicken that is bothering them. So I think they know that I am trying to help.

i took my super momma (buff orp that adopted nearly 30 chicks) and her HUGE brood to the swap in c'burg saturday. it was a success. AND i managed to sneak in a few chicks the same age, into her current brood. so no more babies in the house except a few keepers. (3 sfh, 3 bantam cochins and 3 red dorkings). and she's only got 14 left now including the noobies. sold a BUNCH of them.

just moved 50+ eggs to the hatcher. a bunch of shipped bantam cochins from luckypickens, 6 sfh from bulldogma and the rest my own mille fleur cochins and dorkings from my red pen (before i turned everyone loose again). next week we have more shipped sfh (for bulldogma), dorking and mfc (for me), and the week after will be EE's (for gilmanor) and more cochins (me) and a few blrw (for??).

I used to live pretty much across the street from Gilmanor.
I may have some Narragansett turkeys if anyone is interested. Also Blue and Splash Marans hatching eggs.

I used to live pretty much across the street from Gilmanor.
I may have some Narragansett turkeys if anyone is interested. Also Blue and Splash Marans hatching eggs.
are the turkeys grown or poults? if grown, are they used to being free or penned?

Good morning everyone!!!

Well I have to say it is torture to have to come to work today and sit in a windowless room with the white noise of the HVAC system and fluorescent lighting. I want to move my desk outside…preferably within sight of our new peeps with their adorable protective Mommas. I am missing another day of their development! (and they grow up so darn fast!!! They are already zipping around, like they hadn’t just learned how to use their legs.)

It is supposed to be 90 today and it was sleeting less than a week ago (on Friday.) Tomorrow a cold front is coming through and will take us (hopefully) to normal temperatures for the season. isn't living in Virginia great?

I am hoping we will have the new coop done this weekend!!! Actually, I was hoping last weekend, but that was a bit unrealistic, I found out. Just too many little things to do. (what do they need a door for, anyway?…or lids for the hen boxes? Or windows? Or roosts? Sheesh…chickens are picky!)

We made the outside mostly out of pressure treated plywood so we can’t paint it for some time (paint will just flake off because the wood is so wet) but the inside roosts and poop trays are regular pine, so I am toying with the idea of painting those some glossy color, which will push our timeline out even further. But if I have designed this thing right, most of what they will be able to get to to poop on will be covered in a layer of Sweet PDZ for easy clean-up. We will soon find out how good I am. I was thinking about taking some of the tin roof flashing and making removable covers for the 2x4 roosts that I can hose off occasionally. Would that cause their feet to get cold in the winter, though?

I love that all the trees are starting to bloom! Spring!!! Finally!!!!

Anyone in Hampton Roads area? We just moved from Norfolk to Suffolk. We are up to 27 chickens now and we just brought home 4 sheep yesterday!

an update on Redneck, the 'stepped on' roo. 8)

he's back outside 24x7, tho he keeps trying to come in for a visit. running around, jumping up down and over anything in his way. the split healed up cleanly where the superglue held, and just a smallish scab about 1/4" across where the superglue pulled loose next to his crop. he's a mess with all those feathers missing, but they're pinning back in quickly, so he'll be pretty again soon. 8) still begs to be picked up and cuddled tho.

Back
Top Bottom