Virginia

Wow! Thanks all for your answers and good advice! I am feeling very prepared now.

Sweet.
Maria

If you look at the satellite image of the intersection of 709 and 33, parking will be in the triangles formed by the two roads. I've seen them full and folks parking out on 33 and walking in. Vendors will be all around the silver roofed grain store/shop, overflow vendors wind up on around behind the barns. They've had bbq/ hotdogs in the past, but I can't say for sure what they'll have this year.

Thanks, Tony! I am sooo looking forward to this. It sound like it will be a blast! Again, forgive my ignorance, but there's no order the vendors are set up in, right? Like, all the chicken vendors in section A, goat folks in B, and so on. It strikes me that is probably not how these things work. Barring that, is there just a map of the facilities - a general here's parking, here's the port-a-potty area, etc. I keep seeing this swap announced all over, but I can't find a website devoted to it or anything, so I'm asking here. Just want to be prepared is all - I'll have four kids in tow.

Thanks!
Maria

LOL- just think of it as a giant poultry and animal flea market. You will find anything and everything all over the place.
wink.png

It is a six hour round trip for me too but I will be going. I have a number of birds to deliver to folks and I enjoy socializing with my "chicken friends" that I usually do not get to see any other time.
Don't get me wrong about this. I would absolutely love to spend time with my chicken friends. But the location is just not fun. I either have to drive down I-95 or MD-301 (I think it is VA-1 once you cross the Chesapeake). Both are not fun drives. I-95 is a miserable parking lot on the weekends. MD-301 ends with a bridge that is closed half the time. One time I spent 4 hours waiting on the actual bridge waiting for the authorities to resume traffic. I already spend 10-15 hours per week commuting into D.C. during the week for work. And I only live 11 miles!! So the last thing I want to do is get stuck in traffic on the weekend as well.

Plus my boat is going in the water today. If you are a Rockfish that lives in the Chesapeake, you are on notice. You will be caught this weekend.

I will see all of you at the Maryland Poultry Swap in June. :) I also will be heading to the Swap in Woodstock on the third Saturday of this month to deliver some Cemani to a fellow breeder. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Don't get me wrong about this. I would absolutely love to spend time with my chicken friends. But the location is just not fun. I either have to drive down I-95 or MD-301 (I think it is VA-1 once you cross the Chesapeake). Both are not fun drives. I-95 is a miserable parking lot on the weekends. MD-301 ends with a bridge that is closed half the time. One time I spent 4 hours waiting on the actual bridge waiting for the authorities to resume traffic. I already spend 10-15 hours per week commuting into D.C. during the week for work. And I only live 11 miles!! So the last thing I want to do is get stuck in traffic on the weekend as well.

Plus my boat is going in the water today. If you are a Rockfish that lives in the Chesapeake, you are on notice. You will be caught this weekend.

I will see all of you at the Maryland Poultry Swap in June. :) I also will be heading to the Swap in Woodstock on the third Saturday of this month to deliver some Cemani to a fellow breeder. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Ugh!, that doesn't sound fun. How is I-81 once you get up to northern VA through Hagerstown MD. Is It crowded too?

Ugh!, that doesn't sound fun. How is I-81 once you get up to northern VA through Hagerstown MD. Is It crowded too?
That highway is ok. There is still some traffic. It's I-95 South to Richmond or MD-301 south that make life miserable. :( I have actually turned down contracts for work if I have to drive down that way. No amount of money is worth that drive!!

Don't blame ya - Rock fish catching takes top of order over chicken swapping any day [ well unless the weathers bad ] -- But hope all that go enjoy
looks like great weather for it.

That highway is ok. There is still some traffic. It's I-95 South to Richmond or MD-301 south that make life miserable. :( I have actually turned down contracts for work if I have to drive down that way. No amount of money is worth that drive!!

I've never been up near DC or that area. But I've been near Richmond, and there is a LOT of traffic around there.

I've never been up near DC or that area. But I've been near Richmond, and there is a LOT of traffic around there.
Richmond can be bad but it doesn't even come close to DC area which is a nightmare. My son works in the area and usually starts working at 5 AM and quits at 2>3 Pm to avoid the traffic. And still doesn't miss it.
If I'm going north I will drive 75 miles further and go I 81 or 13 up Eastern shore to avoid DC .
A traffic jam here is 2 light cycles so I am spoiled now. LOL

Back
Top Bottom