Virginia

WOW. So much rain. is everyone out there okay?
We live next to a river and I have never seen it SO high. (but we are up on a cliff so we are NOT WORRIED) but the little pedestrian bridge down there got shifted off of it's foundations. sigh. don't know how we are going to fix it.

but one of our broody's (we have 6!!!) clutches hatched last night. I love the noises they make to the chicks. so freakin adorable. she was sitting on 8 eggs but one hasn't even pipped yet. I will candle it tonight to see if its moving at all if it hasn't hatched by the time I get home.

I have one broody that's only sitting on one egg (due to hatch today) and I will probably transfer a couple of chicks to her so she isn't raising a singleton.

So exciting!!!!

We got 5" here but not a lot compared to some . my son lives in Fredericksburg area and said this AM
on way to work roads washed out every where cars in fields and ditches .
Hope all are OK

We got 5" here but not a lot compared to some . my son lives in Fredericksburg area and said this AM
on way to work roads washed out every where cars in fields and ditches .
Hope all are OK

A lot of times it isn't actually the rain that is what causes problems (well, it is what comes in the first place) but the people do stupid things like trying to cross deep water in a little sports car!

the rain isn't much problem, but the flash flooding down my driveway leaving huge ruts... and the MUD!
barnie.gif

headed to the Roanoke swap tomorrow, blrw are all sold (and in tow to be picked up there) plus my olive egger girls, ee roo, mottled cochin trio and one mixed bantam egg layer (year old laying well).

PLUS! 20+ sfh chicks (with their broody momma) and 20+ RIR chicks and their broody momma...

oh and 3 sfh roosters. these are my culls, not worth breeding IMO. they have split wing and/or sprigs on the combs. I'm likely going to sell them for meat birds. ($5 each to the rooster man)

Forgot the pic of the front...
wow this looks like just what i need small but efficient ! Thanks for sharing, I tried to find the book you were referring to in our local store , but have had more luck. Do you have directions on the build or "during" the build pics ?

Quote: Myra,
The plans, as well as a number of tips, are in the book. It is readily available from Amazon or the local book store. It is "THE SMALL-SCALE POULTRY FLOCK" by Harvey Ussery(Shenandoah Valley) with forward by Joel Salatin of Polyface Farm, Swoope, VA. Regardless of the chicken tractor, the book is a wonderful resource. I've read it completely twice and parts of it five and six times. It was recommended to me, before I started, as the best reference book available.

Hello from the Blue Ridge Parkway area.
Did I read that someone here said Raccoons chewed through standard chicken wire? I am building new hutches and pens that are inside my chainlink fencing because the TSC hutches and pens from last year have not held up. Each cost over 250. Each. I bought some early this year before their chicks came in and painted them before use using. Hoping painting would make the difference. Also painted all the ones from last year also. I have 14 set ups in three styles I got them from TSC in Galax, Mt Airy, Christiansburg, & Salem.

When I got back up the mountain this afternoon from Mt. Airy I found one of my Ohiki's was not doing well. Wouldn't you know it, he is my favorite. I had to bring him in the house and he is in my bathroom right now. I cleaned him up and he is nestled in straw in the old cat's house. The Five cats have checked him out and he is nibbling food and sipping water quietly. This is the old cat house years ago that my son spray painted black after he saw a movie (Mad House) and the cat's name was Scruffy Banister. He called the cat house Cattica. Well he took in a lot of cats since then... I really do not know what is wrong with my Little Gingerbread boy. He is a small Ohiki, a Golden Duckwing. Weight about a pound. He is my smallest adult Ohiki. His brother is twice his size.

Hi,

I have one (1) Pure Breed White Leghorn Cockerel for sale. He is 4 weeks and 1 day old, and is housed with a few other breeds of the same type. Never shown any signs of sickness, I am getting rid of him because I can't keep more then two roos, and I have two. We are in Culpeper, Brandy Station. Because of my mom just having a baby (yesterday), we won't be driving anywhere for a while. I have tried to handle Mr. Fly, but he just is flightly, like all young Leghorns, not anything I've caused, they all are seen regulary, and I try to hold each of them a few times a day. He is naturally flightly, and I am working on that. I would like to get some money from him, so make an offer, I won't do anything under $2-firm.

PM me if interested.

-Emma

Back
Top Bottom