Virginia

Hello fellow Virginians, I am pretty new here and just wanted to ask a few questions if I may? Where can I go to find my own County laws for owning Silkies, and Bantams for "possible" future egg and maybe chick sales? I know I can probably call somewhere but wanted to know if someone can help me out on VA law. I heard it's pretty strict.
Thanks

Just showed Hubby, stack a brooder and he said 'hmmmm", so I may be in luck! He didn't walk away shaking his head this time
thumbsup.gif

Hello fellow Virginians, I am pretty new here and just wanted to ask a few questions if I may? Where can I go to find my own County laws for owning Silkies, and Bantams for "possible" future egg and maybe chick sales? I know I can probably call somewhere but wanted to know if someone can help me out on VA law. I heard it's pretty strict.
Thanks
if you let us know where you're at, county or city, and acreage maybe someone already knows the answer... but without that info it's kind of hard. i live in roanoke county on 26 acres. i can do what i want.
tongue2.gif
but roanoke city has, i believe, an 8 hen limitation, no roos. salem city is more strict, fewer birds, only so many sq ft allowed for pen, you can't have coop/pen within 25' of the property line, can't sell eggs or chicks, blah blah blah. in other words, salem really doesn't like chickens but got out-voted by the citizens of the town...

there's also a forum specifically for urban poultry laws/rules/etc... you might check there and see.

Poultrymad Pekin Bantam? they look like this

who's are those? nice looking, but are the feet/legs yellow? from reading on the self blue cochin thread, that's one of the issues Tom had with his. My girl is good but the feathers on her head are a bit thin. it could be from being new girl in the pen tho. I hadn't noticed it when i got her. I'll know for sure when she moults.

but she's sharing the nest with her new 'sister' broody. so that's a good thing. caught all 3 girls in there this morning, got 1 egg...

Last edited:
We live in Franklin County, Va.. Some of the laws here are tricky as well...In city limits folks can't have roos either. I wasn't sure about certain neighborhood rules, so I went to the courthouse, to the clerks office and checked the zoning laws...They seem to know the rules pretty well..

Thanks

Just like Ki4got you need to list the town/city you live in. Each town/city/county has it's own laws not to mention if you live in an HOA that may supersede the local law. I am in Roanoke City and we can have 10 chickens on a property that is less than 20,000 sq ft. If over 20,000sq ft you can have more. Coop has to be 50 ft from a neighbors house and according to the city code we are not allowed to sell the eggs.

Just like Ki4got you need to list the town/city you live in. Each town/city/county has it's own laws not to mention if you live in an HOA that may supersede the local law. I am in Roanoke City and we can have 10 chickens on a property that is less than 20,000 sq ft. If over 20,000sq ft you can have more. Coop has to be 50 ft from a neighbors house and according to the city code we are not allowed to sell the eggs.
ok so i was a bit off on what i thought it was. LOL then again, i don't live in the city, so the rules don't apply to me (thankfully!)

i think i'm a bit over the 10 bird limit. and probably the higher limit set for larger properties. LOL

here's a pic i took (ok multiple pics carefully pasted together) of the free range bunch. not counting eggs in the 'bator, chicks in the brooder or under a broody (or broodies for that matter) or birds in various breeding pens (tho you can see my self blue girl in the background). click for the full sized version...

Back
Top Bottom