Vote for me to help me get my chickens please?

c8a8680b5544ed0a9b420cafaf3a00bc--thank-you-for.jpg

Bamboo Joint Lashing Techniques

Odorless Bamboo Chicken Coop with Vermiculture at MADE Farms Philippines

My pinterest board with ideas for the coop and run, I already have it completely planned out and will scan the blueprints and post photos as it comes along.. just waiting on my grant money to order the wire, and still need to go get pallets and treat those and the bamboo..The coop is going to be made of bamboo and pallets and the frame for the run is going to be made of bamboo, it grows everywhere like a weed here, noxious invasive, good opportunity to kill some..
https://www.pinterest.com/heidiembrey/chickens/

Bamboo Treatment: Boric-Borax Solution ..you can put live cut bamboo in a bucket of water boric acid and borax and allow the natural wicking action to draw it up into the stem.

Bamboo curing ..with a flame thrower this is going to be fun :)

Children learn to make a coop using bamboo. They learn about the versatility of bamboo as a construction material and receive a bamboo plant to have the raw material later on. The coop will protect their chicks from predators and bad weather so in the end the children can eat more

Love this nest box..don't see any reason to keep the nest box in the coop when they are not allowed to use it at night.. Love the double wide nest box idea someone shared so going to get a double wide crate. I'm going to bolt the run to our house to save a wall=wire and back of this will have protection against the house

4448885bd95b345dabb7e71dc4fd4f44.jpg

Indonesia: building bamboo shelters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKBBidLmCk

Want it nice and airy!
Building a Native Hut out of Coconut Lumber, Bamboo, Nipa Leaves - Time Hyper Lapse Study
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcKspZibplw

Busy busy! Plan to post lots of updates here the ball is rolling, the chicks are doing beautifully, I love them to bits, everyone does, Bunny, the easter egger, flies out of the box to sit on your shoulder. She is sleeping on the edge of the box at night and then jumps back into the box in the morning she has not once ventured around the room though it would be safe for her to do so, they are in a HUGE refrigerator box right now, I'm lining the bottom with cardboard I'm not having to change too often just sweep it and scoop the litter out, and over that cardboard palm fronds, sugar cane, sweet smelling herbs and grass and sand ..the box is still in perfect shape because of the lining and i dont think i will need to replace it before they will go outside. i have a fan in the room and keeping the window open during the day to keep it nice and airy. It has been very easy to clean..no smell unless their food gets wet, that smells! It takes up almost the entire room ill get photos when i can just so busy..maybe today.. the others are sleeping in the box in a heap still though i have comfy perches in there for them. They're getting along great, perfectly in fact, they look great, I do for sure have one silkie rooster but I think the other may be a girl..I've taken them outside a few times now using some..grate stuff I found? to make a little pen, and sat out there with them..I've only given them a few treats so far cause worried the're young, they've had grapes, and cornbread on thanksgiving, and lots of grass roots and bugs and stuff, just got some oatmeal to make for them and can give them eggs now if I want they are off medicated feed.
Love you guys always for your help and support and hope you are all having a wonderful holiday season! I'm on cloud 9 with my chicks thanks to you all ..will keep posting here with updates .. Thanks :)

20170515_075318.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought my wire! Finally!!! Hurray!..I got 5 rolls of 2 ft by 25 ft, 16 gauge, 1/2 inch by 1 inch, and at the bottom I'm going to double it sideways to make it 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch apron for the run... It was $98 total from True Value Hardware. I shopped around A LOT and that was the best I could find. ..Hope I don't find it half the price somewhere else later but I think I did ok and I think it will do

Both of my Silkies are roosters. I'm interviewing people who want them, to find them new homes, have quite a few options, 4 or 5 people who want them, and can pick my favorite locations for them. Not too sad about it because now I get to try again and raising them is fun!

Will be down to 3 chicks from 5 once they're gone, and planning still to sell the extra Faverolle, or gift it to my friend when she starts laying, in March I hope :) ..
I'll try again for a silkie hen in the spring..I want a bantam Easter Egger, and a Key West Gypsy chick eventually will make 4 chickens and a muppet :)

Hope you all had a great Christmas, Happy New Year! :)
Pta-Chicken-c-egbert.jpg

Hi everyone! My chickens are doing so great, I had to find new homes for both silkies, roosters but one has a home now with a girl silkie, and if they have babies his new owner is going to give me two more to try again :) That one turned out to be the most beautiful silkie rooster , very tiny with the bluest face and feet, cutest shape, and absurdly affectionate, would hop for me to pick him up and LOVES being petted.. Ill post some photos of him here, I didn't want to get rid of him but couldn't keep him.. Sorry it's been so long, I was drowning in stuff to do. Around the same time I got my chickens I found out my daughter is expecting, and I planned a huge baby shower for her. It went great, I still need to send out thank you notes.. Her husband and she are moving in with me hopefully for a year or two so I can help take care of the baby and we had to ..build a shed, and empty our our storage room to make the room a nursery for the baby so.. omg..I also had to build my chicken run as you know, and it turned out so great beyond what I thought it would, I'm really proud of it. I used wood salvaged from the hurricane, bamboo and pallets.. It only cost me $120 to build a 11 foot by 5 foot by 6 foot tall run and coop with oh gosh what hardware cloth did I get..14 gauge something, with an apron two feet up and below the ground.. though my coop still needs some work.. I'm going to slowly start posting some photos here. I'm still crazy busy, my daughter is due in a month and a half. Hope you all and your chickens are doing great! Love to you all! Ohhh and my hens are laying eggs, have been for a month or so,.the faverolles lay two pink eggs a day each, and the easter egger chick now lays a beautiful blue egg every day.I'm in heaven <3 Thanks!! :)

Back
Top Bottom