Vote for the best brown layer!!!

Which is the most balanced, profitable and sustainable layer of brown eggs for a homestead?

• rhode island red

• black australorp

• light sussex

• delaware

• white plymouth rock

• barred plymouth rock

• new hamshire

• silver laced wyandotte

• golden laced wyandotte

• welsummer

• black copper marans FL

• blue plymouth rock

• light columbian plymouth rock

• light columbian wyandotte

• black jersey giant

• black langshan FL

• black orpington

• buff orpington

• chocolate orpington

• bielefelder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Are we talking Rhode Island Reds from a hatchery or true Heritage Rhode Island Reds? If you're talking about hatchery birds my Production Reds, which are a Rhode Island Red x New Hampshire Red cross (they do breed true after the original cross) are by far my best layers. Beautiful large/x-large eggs, I have 4 hens that give me about 24 eggs a week. They were kind of pills before they started laying, but they calmed way down after they hit POL.
https://www.cacklehatchery.com/production-reds.html

I have also had really good luck with my Barred Rocks. A plus side for Barred Rocks, Bielefelders, and Dominiques is that if you start with a good line and maintain it, the chicks are auto-sexing. I'm not sure if you're planning on selling chicks, but with these breeds you could offer day old pullets and charge more.

RIR are very aggressive to each other. But, they do have a good camouflage and they are much better than dominiques, because they are chosen to be improved by geneticists. And hatcheries usually cross the "layer strains" to "dual strains" to improve RIR and make them overlay the dominique breed.
Also bear in mind that when it comes to egg size, RIR win dominiques.

Heritage breed or hatchery? Just about all hatchery birds lay the same rate and lay far better than most heritage birds. And a red sexlink is a breed. Being a hybrid doesnt mean its not a breed. My dog is a puggle, half pug and half beagle. Puggle is still its breed. But I vote dominique as well for all around, and red sex links as best layers.

Heritage breed or hatchery? Just about all hatchery birds lay the same rate and lay far better than most heritage birds. And a red sexlink is a breed. Being a hybrid doesnt mean its not a breed. My dog is a puggle, half pug and half beagle. Puggle is still its breed. But I vote dominique as well for all around, and red sex links as best layers.
A puggle dog is not a breed.
A red sex link is not a breed.
A production red is not a breed.
They do not breed true.

A puggle dog is not a breed.
A red sex link is not a breed.
A production red is not a breed.
They do not breed true.

The word breed does not mean it has to breed true lol.

A breed is a specific group of domestic animals having homogeneous appearance (phenotype), homogeneous behavior, and/or other characteristics that distinguish it from other organisms of the same species.

Please, vote for the most balanced, profitable and sustainable layer of brown eggs for a homestead.

Even with their inherent tendency towards reproductive tract problems as they age, nothing can beat the red or black sex links. Your question says nothing about 'breed', hybrid, or other restrictions. Sex links need not be purchased debeaked.

Back
Top Bottom