Vote for the best brown layer!!!

Which is the most balanced, profitable and sustainable layer of brown eggs for a homestead?

• rhode island red

• black australorp

• light sussex

• delaware

• white plymouth rock

• barred plymouth rock

• new hamshire

• silver laced wyandotte

• golden laced wyandotte

• welsummer

• black copper marans FL

• blue plymouth rock

• light columbian plymouth rock

• light columbian wyandotte

• black jersey giant

• black langshan FL

• black orpington

• buff orpington

• chocolate orpington

• bielefelder

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why on Earth do you have White Leghorns as a poll option?
View attachment 1576899

Don't forget to vote, we all want to know which girl is the queen.
The terminal crosses are considered to be hybrids.
They are not coming from crossbreeding but from outbreeding.
Four + lines of white leghorns are used to create the terminal crosses sold to farms.
The picture in the following link will help you understand the ABCD system big companies use:

http://www.babolnatetra.com/uploads...mmercial_Hybrid_Management_Guide_2016_ENG.pdf

A) They are not a breed.
B) They are usually sold debeaked.
C) They are designed to need high-density feed.
D) Their tendency to lay huge eggs makes their small bodies burn out fast.

I adore RSL from hy-line and from dominant CZ, but they are hybrids, not breeds, they can't be compared to a heritage breed because they live indoors for more than 80 years and they lost much of the information needed to adapt outsides.

I bought mine (Red Star) from a reputable hatchery. They are NOT debeaked, they are very hardy, they are a larger size, they are consistent layers of very large brown eggs, they don't consume a lot of commercial feed as mine free range and aren't fed a lot of commercial feed, they lay most of the winter, they are fed table scraps and fermented COB in the winter (will try sprouting oats this year) mine are over 2 years old and still going strong. I DO NOT heat my coop or keep extra light on in the winter and they still are productive. Now that they are almost 3 yrs I suspect the eggs will taper off, but they're very healthy and happy. I am thinking they are a cross of Orpington and RIR as they can be a bit "touchy" when handled.

Do you understand that this poll is about breeds and not hybrids?

Idk why you're asking people to vote when you are sitting there and telling people how amazing RIR are. What's the point if obviously your biased on breeds?

In my experience RIR I've had laid horribly misshapen eggs and had horrible temperaments with other breeds and hybrids. I wouldn't keep them on ANY homestead that wants a mixed flock because they are bullies.
When making a poll, this is my advice, leave your opinion out of it and listen to the opinion of others. That's how to make a successful poll.

Back
Top Bottom