VVhile I vvas in the bathroom.....(aquarium question)

taraann81

Songster
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
Ontario
...my 2 and a half year old son....placed a chair in front of the aquarium, on vvhich he placed a large ball..on vvhich he balanced precariously vvhile pouring almost a full gallon of milk into the tank( he actually spilled very little on route too)..along vvith his remaining toast from breakfast.

Its a 55 gallon tank. I removed the toast..did a 30% vvater change..it is still very murky.

Is there something else I can do to save my fish?

My two year old is always putting stuff in the fish tank too. So far our gold fish have survived toilet paper, diaper wipes and many toys. I don't know what it is about that fish tank. I hope your fish survive too.

Not saying if its salt water or fresh I have to ask if you have a skimmer filter or know someone with one. I think one would work pretty well at removing the milk.

Not a pond skimmer but one of these..
211274110.jpg

He didn't realize he vvas doing anything vvrong. VVhen I caught him he said very proudly "I share vvith the fish!!" My daughter vvas bad for it too vvhen she vvas younger. She vvould put too much fish food in.. VVe finally hid it.

The vvorst scenario vvas vvhen my oldest vvas young, he said good night to the fish and upped the heater vvithout me knovving...nothing survived that time(that vvas 11 years ago) I though I had childproofed my tank pretty vvell since then..they can no longer reach the controls...unless of course they are like my youngest. VVho in true Dr Seuss fashion, piles things on top of each other to reach the highest places..

Does anyone knovv if they seel childproof locks for aqaurium lids? I might have to look into that

My daughter killed the whole fish acquarium when she was around three years old, by putting in candies and gummi worms in it......it was ONE sticky mess! Of course she was trying to feed the fishes LOL!

I dont know if there is a kid proof tank lids but worthwhile for busy moms and dads that needs them! It will help for mice and hamsters and guinea pigs as well!

Quote:
Its a fresh vvater tank..no I don't have a skimmer filter,,I suppos ethey are expensive.

Its funny, the pleco in my tank, I've had him longer than I've had my youngest 2 children. I've had him 8 years. He's just a fish but vvhen you have one that long you get a bit attached to them. And my chiclids vvill eat out of my hand.

Are you handy or hubby that is handyman? You can make a wooden frame work for the top that can only be accessed by lock. You would need to put some vent holes somewhere so it can take the heat out of the lights and filters.

Back
Top Bottom