Waddles won't waddle.

tigger122171

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 8, 2011
Ok--here's the story of Waddles (Rouen drake). It started about a week ago, Waddles was slow to come to the area where we feed our ducks. Then one day he didn't come up at all. When we checked on him he swam to us and gave us a pitiful look. We fed him down by the pond for a couple days thinking he was sore for some reason. Last weekend we noticed that his balance was off. That is when we put him in a separate enclosure to keep him from being bullied. When we went down the next morning to check on him he hadn't moved much all night and was dirty. After cleaning him up and feeding/watering him, my husband said to put him back in the pond with the other ducks (we have 11 total). Ok, so the next morning, we went down to check on him and feed him and the others--he was in the grass next to the pond and squalking. He was stuck in the grass. I picked him up and he made swimming motions with his feet. We brought him in the house and cleaned him up and kept him in the house. Now it's Wednesday, Waddles is still in the house, we are giving him VitaE and Brewer's Yeast as suggested by a poultry/duck forurm on FB. He no longer makes swimming motions with his feet when you pick him up and when we gave him a bath to clean him up (he is unable to stand at all), he flipped himself completely over on his back and stayed that way, all the while preening himeself. He is eating like a champ, drinking well and (pewww) pooing like he should. What in the world could be wrong with Waddles? I don't have the extra cash to take him to the vet right now. I want to do what is right for him but dont want to see him "suffer". Right now he is spoiled by being in the house. Please help!

First of all I want to
welcome-byc.gif
and then say i wish i could help but haven't ever seen this before, I hope someone will come in soon that can help you though. I see your giving Vit E and Brewers yeast, I would add Poutlry Nutri Drench to this in his water you can also give it by mouth, really great stuff and would not be with out it. Sure hope someone can help you figure out what is going on with Waddles..
fl.gif

He could have scaly leg mites, a broken foot or leg, or he could have an infection. If you can pics of his feet could be helpful. So sorry about the little guy, hope he makes it!
fl.gif

This is really strange, same thing happened to my duck. My parents thought he was "suffering" (really though Friday was being pampered beyond belief) so they out him down. I would really like to know whats wrong with your duck.

Not a great picture but as you can see there is no scaling, no visable damage at all. He was using the feet to paddle but now isn't using them at all. BTW-he hatched around September 19......I believe.

That is what the Brewers yeast is for.....hoping it helps but I don't know. His legs are weaker but he is overall feistier

Me too. I have other ducks but this is the only one with a name. I don't want to put him down but.....if it is necessary I will. :( I just wish I knew what to do for him other than what I am now.

Back
Top Bottom