Wading Pool?

Jun 29, 2020
(Sorry if this isn't in the right forum!)

I was reading a DIY chicken book, and it had been normal so far, things like nesting boxes and roosts. The book started to worry me, however, when it suggested giving your chicken a scarf. I know that it's never a good idea to put something around your chickens neck, and I was a bit concerned about the credibility of the book, but I moved on.

That's when I came to the wading pool idea. Now, I know that chickens can drown in just a couple inches of water. I also know that MY chickens are terrified of anything they can see their reflection in, and would stay far, far away from the pool. The book suggested that the chickens would either like it or ignore it, which I know is untrue, as mine would stay on the other side of the yard (they're afraid of an envelope for heaven's sakes.)

However, I'm not an expert on chickens. For all I know, this is a great way to help your chickens cool off. I thought I might as well ask the experienced chicken owners.

Anybody can write a book these days. Books aren't what they used to be, so "I read it in a book" doesn't mean much anymore. The scarf was a good red flag. I would doubt the credibility of that book, too. Chickens are indeed afraid of water and can drown easily. Some are more afraid than others. Some will run from it, some will ignore it, a small exception might even enjoy it, but that doesn't mean that a wading pool in general is a good idea. Gotta know your chickens. And definitely nothing more than ankle deep (on them). My kids tried the wading pool last summer, because it was so damn hot. The chickens were not afraid of it and would come up and drink from it, but they didn't like stepping in it. They'd tolerate being held in the pool with their feet in the water, but as soon as you let them go, they'd at most spend 2 seconds in it then jump out. What I do instead to cool them off in the summer is I dump a large bucket of cold water in the run. It forms a cool puddle, and they do love sloshing around in that! Cools their feet down a bit, and they enjoy picking through the wet bedding.

Mine get a chicken sized "wading pool" on hot summer days in the form of large clay planter saucers - they're slip resistant, heavy enough to not accidentally overturn, and shallow enough that they can easily walk across it.

Not all my birds will soak their feet in it, but there's some that do like it.

Anybody can write a book these days. Books aren't what they used to be, so "I read it in a book" doesn't mean much anymore. The scarf was a good red flag. I would doubt the credibility of that book, too.
Ditto Dat!!

This is what I use for summer cooling, just the ice block(9x14x3") on the hottest days, no added water.
1615301718526.png

I tried the sled method, but the chickens didn't like how slippery it was on the inside. They kept slipping and falling in the water and freaking out. So I got them a large planter dish instead, which worked much better. It's plastic, but a textured plastic that doesn't get slippery when wet. I sprinkled some scratch in the water to encourage them to go in. Some would go in, others would stand around the edge and reach in without stepping in. Got them to drink more water at least, which still helps in the heat.

IMG_5998.jpg

Mine don't seem to mind....might be roughed up from long use for various things.
Could always take some sand paper to any slippery plastic.
Yep, every situation is different. Mine might have been traumatized by their first experience with the sled... It involved over-eager children :lol:

We had some very, very heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and my covered run had standing water in it. I was worried about the girls but they seemed to like wading through the ankle deep water. (chicken ankle deep) Did not bother them at all. They have lots of roost they could have gotten on but didn't. I think I will try the wading type area this summer for them.

We had some very, very heavy rain a couple of weeks ago and my covered run had standing water in it. I was worried about the girls but they seemed to like wading through the ankle deep water. (chicken ankle deep) Did not bother them at all. They have lots of roost they could have gotten on but didn't. I think I will try the wading type area this summer for them.
I don't think it's the water that can freak them out, but the container that it's in. Chickens are a lot more afraid of strange new objects (especially big ones) than water. So if they react to the wading pool, it might be because of the pool itself, not because of the water in it. If the same amount of water were dumped straight on the ground, they'd be fine.

Back
Top Bottom