waging war on mites, help

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bayford21, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Bayford21

Bayford21 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    bayford virginia
    I have read and studied a lot on mites online, at least what's available. What's a fool proof way to really get rid of them and give relief to flock. Keep in mind I don't have infestation. I noticed a patch of feather missing from her back. They don't seem to be bothering but a few but I know they spread fast. Today I cleaned, scooped, vacumed, sprayed bleach, sprayed sevin, when dry I dusted seven, provided DE for dust bathing, sprayed the infested with pyrithrin, dipped a few in pyrithrin shampoo. What else can I do, I lost sleep worried about a mite epidemic. Any help appreciated.thanks

2. War Chicken

War Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2011
    Quest Plus for cattle. It's a paste and not water soluble but it will take care of all worms and hematophagus mites (and possibly others). Use this in conjunction with your environmental controls.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Sounds like you broke the bank for not having any mites. I don't treat prophylactically. What I read is that sevin dust is the best dusting approach to clean up the mites, if you have any. Any infested chickens can be dusted in a pillow case, and the coop dusted with the sevin.

Chris

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    It sounds like you've done everything except WAIT to see if it's working

5. Bayford21

Jul 10, 2013
    bayford virginia
    I have waited a week, no sign of mites however my buff hen is still anemic and I hope she recovers soon. I feed her scrambled eggs everyday. Any idea how long recovery is?

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    There are more than one species of chicken mite.
    If I were to treat prophylactically I would use Permeation liquid mixed with used motor oil and paint every crack, cranny, split and crevice in the coop with this mixture, paying special attention to the roost poles. Mix the insecticide with the used motor oil using the same premise spray recipe for mixing it with same amount of water that you have used motor oil.

If you did not have an infestation I doubt that your Buff hens anemia is the result of mites.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  7. Bayford21

Jul 10, 2013
    bayford virginia
    Didn't appear to be infestation, what else would cause anemia? The motor oil idea sounds good

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Worms cause anemia, as does poor diets.

Used motor oil is full of carcinogens.
    Used (or even new) vegetable oil will kill mites just as effectively, without killing anything else

1 person likes this.
  9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Great advice from Bear Foot Farm...

10. Irishhenman

Irishhenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    Ireland
    I you can get hold of a couple of poultry smoke bombs. I can buy them from sales here. All you have to do is block up any holes (ventilation ect) and set one off inside the coop (no birds inside it obviously)wait twenty minutes and then remove the smoke bomb and let it air out for a while. Also when I say bomb they do not go bang or anything and the substance that burns is deadly to all insects inside. Then you just treat ALL the birds that live in that house before you re introduce them

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by