waging war on mites, help

Bayford21

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 10, 2013
bayford virginia
I have read and studied a lot on mites online, at least what's available. What's a fool proof way to really get rid of them and give relief to flock. Keep in mind I don't have infestation. I noticed a patch of feather missing from her back. They don't seem to be bothering but a few but I know they spread fast. Today I cleaned, scooped, vacumed, sprayed bleach, sprayed sevin, when dry I dusted seven, provided DE for dust bathing, sprayed the infested with pyrithrin, dipped a few in pyrithrin shampoo. What else can I do, I lost sleep worried about a mite epidemic. Any help appreciated.thanks

Quest Plus for cattle. It's a paste and not water soluble but it will take care of all worms and hematophagus mites (and possibly others). Use this in conjunction with your environmental controls.

Sounds like you broke the bank for not having any mites. I don't treat prophylactically. What I read is that sevin dust is the best dusting approach to clean up the mites, if you have any. Any infested chickens can be dusted in a pillow case, and the coop dusted with the sevin.

Chris

I have waited a week, no sign of mites however my buff hen is still anemic and I hope she recovers soon. I feed her scrambled eggs everyday. Any idea how long recovery is?

There are more than one species of chicken mite.
If I were to treat prophylactically I would use Permeation liquid mixed with used motor oil and paint every crack, cranny, split and crevice in the coop with this mixture, paying special attention to the roost poles. Mix the insecticide with the used motor oil using the same premise spray recipe for mixing it with same amount of water that you have used motor oil.

If you did not have an infestation I doubt that your Buff hens anemia is the result of mites.

Last edited:
I you can get hold of a couple of poultry smoke bombs. I can buy them from sales here. All you have to do is block up any holes (ventilation ect) and set one off inside the coop (no birds inside it obviously)wait twenty minutes and then remove the smoke bomb and let it air out for a while. Also when I say bomb they do not go bang or anything and the substance that burns is deadly to all insects inside. Then you just treat ALL the birds that live in that house before you re introduce them

Back
Top Bottom