1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

waiting... 20 week old pullets... I'm getting anxious! UPDATE! AN EGG!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rhaj, Sep 20, 2010.

  1. rhaj

    rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    I have 3 RSL (golden comets?) and a hatchery RIR that are 20 weeks old. I've read that these types of birds can start laying earlier than other types... but nada!! I did see 2 brown feathers in a nesting box, so maybe soon??

    I have one silkie (she is older than the rest) that's already laying, so I hope she will serve as a good example.

    UPDATE: AN EGG!!!!

    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  2. emys

    emys Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 19, 2008
    Are you paying close attention to overall diet protein levels? I think this is a common problem among back yard chicken owners due to having few birds and a desire to make their diet fun and interesting for both the birds and ourselves.

    By that I mean, if the primary food of the birds is layer feed at 16% protein, but they only eat it 70% of the time, because the other 30% of their diet is fruit or scratch, at 1% protein or 10% protein then they are really getting a diet of 11.2% plus anywhere from 0.3% to 3% for a overall dietary total of between 11.5% to 14.2% which may not be enough protein to allow for egg development.

    I know I didn't grasp this concept right away when I first started, but it is important.
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  3. rhaj

    rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Nope, they eat 16% layer food. I don't give them scratch or any scraps. All they get is mealworms sometimes for treats. They didn't like BOSS. They "eat" sand in the run, but I guess that is just their grit.
  4. 7L Farm

    7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Well I have 6 RIR that are 22 weeks & Nada. Well , at-least you have one laying. Guess there's nothing we can do but keep waiting.
  5. emys

    emys Chillin' With My Peeps

    Nov 19, 2008
    Guess it's just genetics then. You will have to wait it out. Only other thing that might keep them from laying is stress, but doesn't sound like that is a factor for your birds.
  6. gryeyes

    gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

    My suggestion is to do what I did: not expect eggs until at least 24 weeks. That way, if they lay earlier, you can be happily surprised, and if aren't laying by then, start investigating to see if you have some of the later maturing breeds.

    I was pleasantly surprised by one pullet, but the others were "right on time" at 24 and 25 weeks.
  7. rhaj

    rhaj Chillin' With My Peeps

    May 30, 2010
    NE'ern Connecticut
    Quote:That's the thing though, I don't have late breeds, I've read from others that they can be really early... guess not mine specifically though!
  8. trunkman

    trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

    Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    keep checking your nest boxes, I'll bet any day now! [​IMG]
  9. LauraG

    LauraG Chillin' With My Peeps

    Apr 13, 2010
    Upstate, NY
    My Golden Comet is almost 21 weeks and I got nuthin either.

    I think the suggestion is to "start looking" at around 20 weeks and hope for the best.
  10. CMV

    CMV Flock Mistress

    Apr 15, 2009
    My earliest Golden Comet layer started at 19 weeks. Another Golden Comet hasn't even started yet and I believe she is about 23-24 weeks. My RIRs just started in the past week, but not all are laying yet either.

    It's not a good thing when birds start laying too young. They will frequently have more problems, and usually die younger from some egg-laying-related malady. Be thankful your girls are going to be fully mature when they start laying. It means there will likely be fewer problems for you and them down the road.

    Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by