Waiting for that first egg is driving me CRAZY.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Momo, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    Honestly. I've become a crazy woman. I mean, I keep checking the nest boxes throughout the day, wondering if I'll find a shiny new blue or green egg. I like to think I'm a fairly balanced individual but the waiting is driving me nuts.

My girls (EE) are 18/19 weeks old and some of them have developed bright red combs and have been doing the egg squat for a week or so ... but they haven't been investigating the nest boxes. I'm due to leave in a week for a short vacation and I'm pretty sure the little rascals will start laying while I'm gone! Argh!

2. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Uh huh....they KNOW!!!! One of my girls was squatting and cackling for weeks before she actuallly laid an egg!!! It finally happened yesterday though and I am sure yours will too. [​IMG] I had given up on her and told her she was probably just a rooster in disguise!!! LOL

3. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Just like "a watched pot never boils. . . . " [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    Ours are about 16 weeks and we had our first egg a few days ago, I know how you feel, it's like it will never happen....but it will and it's really exciting!!!

5. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    I am feeling the same! the wattles are very red on my 2 hens and the combs somewhat. Is It possible for a hen to never lay an egg in it's life [​IMG]
    ???

Someone told me she got a few at farmer's markets and they never laid eggs

I am sure mine are about 19 weeks old now or more

6. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    My batch of younger girls wil be twenty one weeks this Saturday and still nuthin. I think its the muggy heat. Blech.

Whym when I was a young pullet . . .

Kids today just dont want no kind of responsibility nohow.

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I had 2 EEs that didn't start laying until well past 8 months of age; however, those 2 lay JUMBO eggs regularly, with an occasional XL. So, I guess it was worth the wait. My biggest disappointment in my EEs is that of the 6 I started with, only 2 of them lay green . Sigh.

8. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    Quote:Okay, what does cackling actually mean, like walking around talking? So do they cackle all day when they are getting ready to lay? My Dom is talking her head off.

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Pretend you don't care. That's how I got our girls to lay.

10. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I am glad I am not the only one that going crazy waiting for the first egg to arrive....bit i think I am more exicited for my daughter she is 5 and they are really her chickens ...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by