390.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 7503A0C9-A2A2-4CCE-95E0-B043CCD2B2AE.jpeg
    7503A0C9-A2A2-4CCE-95E0-B043CCD2B2AE.jpeg
    862.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 463E772E-039F-4FD7-8405-F1AB09735DF9.jpeg
    463E772E-039F-4FD7-8405-F1AB09735DF9.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
Some symptoms are blood in the poop or just pooping STRAIGHT blood…. Ruffled feathers like they’re puffy, lethargic, not super interested in eating but they still are eating and drinking. Some are better than others.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question, are those cedar shavings? I think cedar shavings are not supposed to be used with young chicks due to the aromatic oils. I've seen mixed views on their use with adults, but it looks like most agree that they should be avoided with chicks. That could be why your chicks seem to be particularly susceptible to the coccidia if their systems are already stressed by the shavings.
I hope your babies recover quickly! Here is a page from the Chicken Chick's Blog about Coccidiosis that you can read too: https://the-chicken-chick.com/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken/

no prescription needed. You can buy it online. search for 2.5% Toltrazuril.
I googled the heck out of it both as "Baycox" and "Toltrazuril" and didn't come up with anyone selling it here. I read it is legal in Canada and Europe, but not here. Not sure if that's old info, or new. I know I could get Baycox from my vet a few years ago.

Are you feeding medicated chick feed? If not you should be. That could have prevented this. I fail to understand why people don't. It's essential imo and it's not 'unnecessary medication', it creates a gut environment where coccidia cannot thrive and multiply.

Many species of coccidia are resistant to amprolium (the medication in medicated chick feed). The parasites develop resistance because people medicate too much when it is not necessary.
that is not the case where I live. The medicated part is a chemical nutrient (can't remember the name - ACS?) that creates an inhospitable environment for coccidia. It is not a medicine like antibiotics and they can't get resistance.

Back
Top Bottom