Walking funny and mouth breathing, Help!

chickypoo

Songster
11 Years
Mar 13, 2008
Colorado
Mom brought one of the 1 year old Americana girls in tonight. She kicked her out of the next box but noticed she wasn't walking right, she doesn't have good balance, almost like she were drunk. Also, her crop is empty. Currently she is in the house sitting back on her hind end with her head hanging down on her chest and is mouth breathing with her wings drooping. I don't believe she is egg bound, I didn't feel anything. Help please!

So sorry...... Take a listen to her lungs, is there any wheezing or crackles going on? Any watery eyes, snotty or watery nose? If so she will need an antibiotic, fast. Tylan 50, 200 etc.. works best. 1/2 cc for her size for 3 days. If not she could be heavy breathing from pain. Put bird or liquid vitamins in her water, if she is not drinking take a syringe of 3/4 water to 1/4 vitamins and inject it just under the skin where neck/back meet(3ccs for an adult standard fowl). It should make a small balloon under skin. This will help her absorb some fluids.... keep her warm, quiet and give supportive care. If in pain 3 -5 baby aspirin to gallon water (dissolved).

Last edited:
I can't hear anything when she breathes, no wheezing or crackling. Her eyes and nose don't have any discharge but there is a lot of saliva in her mouth making bubbles along the sides. I think because she is just mouth breathing she isn't swallowing her saliva. How do I tell is she is in pain? She isn't making noise, she just sits there.

Well she made it through the night...and she is perfect
hu.gif
She drank about a half a dish of water and has eaten everything we have given her. I have no idea what was wrong with her. We are keeping an eye on her today so I guess we wait and see.

Back
Top Bottom