Wally's Journal - A Rescue Hen

@Sulky Bantam - Wally put herself to bed pretty well tonight! I was going to read her “fan mail” and tell her you were her fan but the poor service wouldn’t load. I promised I’d “read fan mail” to her in the morning. Gotta get the news in first thing! LOL
I'm sorry to have missed this! Go Wally!

January 14th, 2021 -

Haven't checked in for some time. Wally is doing great, and it blows my mind every time I think about how different she looks now - how healthy she is, and watching her relationship with her Mr. Ducky friend blooming. She's a girl of routine for sure- a new, fun pattern developing that makes me laugh every time.

Putting her to bed is easy now after the clicker training. Even if she's already jumped in the log cabin coop by herself, she'll run back out to meet me at the coop door. The duck leads the way, quacking for her to follow. She runs and jumps inside, but will sit in the entry to the coop and move no further. Why? Because she has to have a "night light" to go to bed. She absolutely refuses to move until she sees my phone, then gets close to it and waits. I turn my phone flashlight on, and she runs to jump on top of the nest box and wipes her beak on it every time, then examines the coop and makes soft little clucks. I accidentally forgot the phone one evening, and you would've thought her world was over, and I had to pick the sassy lady up and put her in place. All this stemming from darker evenings of going into the coop when she couldn't see her perch once inside- shining the light so she could see to hop on the box or fly to the perch.

And Tater the duck, normally the loud little mister that he is, quiets immediately when Wally follows him inside. He walks under where she perches or stands on the box for bed, gently shoveling his bill into her chest feathers and giving her night time snuggles. She closes her eyes and stays still, reminding me of a mom hen staying still while the biddies peck food from the corners of her beak with patience. He waits for me to close the door to the coop, and begins to quack quietly to Wally as if to tell her goodnight. And I'm so happy for them - I'm happy they get along without fuss. That Wally has a nice friend, and Tater isn't as lonely as he was after Tot passed away.

I'll post some bed-time photos of them one day soon, but for now, I love documenting how they are coming along. Today makes a little over 4 months with her, and it feels like it's been forever. I hope others may be inspired to rescue by her kind example.

@BarredRockMom - Thank you for being such a fan of this sweet girl and her tales.

I wish I could share that she got along with the other hens too, but the “Bad Girls Club” live up to their group name and were very rough on her even after adjustment periods of look-no-touch. I love my other gals, but they were very mean to her and I was having to separate her just to make sure she was eating. At first initial intro, the duck was scared out of his wits of her, and she tried to chase him down and peck him.

However, the short time she spent with the hens gave her a fresh perspective, and supervised play time with them all together yielded her seeing the duck not tolerate the other hens. When they used to try and peck his girl Tot, he’d run up and slam them with his chest, scolding them away. I think when Wally saw how he was boss of the feathered people, and had a taste of what it was like to be with the non-level-headed hens, their next meetup was much nicer. She had learned she was not the head hen, and I think he knew it too. He chased her every so often the first day and chest slammed her, I think to sort of set some ground rules, though he never tried to pull feathers. Nothing severe, and she still had hiding spots in case she felt unsafe. Knowing their behavior and personalities, things felt just fine, and by the next day they were closing the distance they kept from one another. I think he was glad to not be lonely. Slowly things came together and they’ve grown on one another.

I know I talk about those two mainly, but I love my other girls. It’ll be a shame when the older two pass- they lost their sister two years ago. I love how talkative they are and how smart they are, especially Prue, who is the shy one but always remembers her clicker lessons and is eager to show off. Piper is always curious and wants to know what you’re up to, and usually last to bed because she procrastinates and wants to “talk” to you as she walks slowly to the coop. And Chicken Hawk is my little hand raised brat- trained for all sorts of cool things and a very good listener. I can let her follow me around outside the pen and she will follow when called. For safety with dogs around, that is a rare occasion. She treats Piper like her mom though she isn’t, and everyone else she’s snobby to. The duck used to hate her, but somewhere down the line he fell for her, though she was way too tiny to put with him for good (Wally is a big gal - Hawk is bantam sized).

Enough of a rant/story on my end, LOL! I just love trying to paint a picture of their behaviors and lives. Here’s to long lives for them all, and maybe one day a little picture book about an odd chicken/duck friendship.

Ah, stories from the world of chickendom....just warms the heart. After reading about your slice of chicken heaven last night, I went out to visit with my chicken darlings & was surprised to find everyone awake & chatting happily to me.

They settled right down to rest as I was leaving, so I like to think that they liked seeing me as much as I liked seeing them!

@BarredRockMom - I think happy birds who live in a pampered environment know their spoiled and come to really enjoy their human companions. I am so glad to hear your flock was having some good night chats with you. Do you have a photo or fun stories about them?

Wally must have been feeling the love tonight herself. I went over and said good evening to my wild rabbit friend and tossed it a small carrot. Put the three girls up. Wally and Tater were quite chatty, and she met me at the gate just carrying on and actually refused to put herself in the house. She tried to fly into my arms, then clucked a little because I told her no and instead walked up to me closer- I tried to herd her with my hands, but she walked herself into them and asked to be picked up. I had to carry her to the coop, give her pets, then turn on the "night light" for her. Spoiled bird :)

Spoiled birds indeed! I love spoiling my girls, too!

As for funny stories about my flock, they always up to something. One thing that they do on a regular basis is stroll right into the basement when I go in to get something! No matter what I go in for, my coming out has to involve some kind of treat or they squeal. And they're not hovering by the door, no siree. They stroll in like they own the place, look around, check out the area, peck at this or that.

We keep those forays inside to short time frames only, as I know that when the urge to drop a chicken bomb strikes, it's on...and entails extra work for me.

I have a Buff Orpington named Mrs Butterworth,

two sassy Easter Egger mixes of some kind
Maybelline (because we WAS born with 'it') & Goldilocks (she's a dark golden & grey colored)

and a little fluffy, mutton-chop character,
Cleopatra (so named for her decorative feathers around her neck, which reminded me of Cleopatra's jewel collars.)

Back
Top Bottom