Wandering dog spray-painted 'Go Home'

Maybe a better way, but with less shock value would have been to 1) take the dog to the animal shelter with a note that if it is going for pick up that the owner needs to keep the dog fenced. 2) Just give it a huge flourecent collar with streamers with a giant note on it saying, please keep you dog at home.

Sometimes you can't catch the dog to put the note on the collar, or if they slipped out of it, you can't pin the note. I've tried to catch lots of wandering, collarless dogs and that's why I thought of using a paintball gun! These dogs are not strays, their owners are negligent. Painting definitely got the message across.

The way I see it, the person that painted the dog gave the owner a chance to put his dog up...what if the painter had fatally shot the dog instead?
Stephanie

Last edited:
Oh, I meant if you could catch the dog. To be able to spray the words "go home", who ever did it must have been close enough to the dog for long enoguh to do that. I agree though, it is negligence on the owners part.

... I love the paintball gun idea Hencackle! Have you used a paintball gun for that or has anyone on here done that before? That sounds like a humane way to get a message to the dog's owner. If nothing else it certainly would scare the bejeebies out of the dog to the point he may never return! : )

TJ

I checked with my neighbor (he's a hunter) and asked him because I don't want to harm the dog. He said it would "sting real good and it washes out easily." That's good enough for me. I don't have the paintball gun yet but I'm getting one. I think a dog with pink splats gets a message across loud and clear.
Stephanie

Ok...I'm catching on here......

The next time a flock of chickens comes into my yard looking for food, water, and shelter...while scratching up my flower beds...crapping up my steps, walkways, and yard....crowing at 4:16 am outside my bedroom window.......

I should paint them.........

Maybe it's me.....wouldn't be the first time I was wrong
wink.png

Hmmm. That definately got the owners attention. Hopefully the dog won't be running loose anymore. I have a neighbor who lets her dog run loose. He continues to come to my place to chase chickens. My family and I now make it unpleasant for him to visit us. If we can catch him he spends time in a kennel. Usually over an hour with no signs of the neighbor looking for him. Now we give him a mud bath. He is a house dog so I know they have to give him a regular bath after he visits us. I thought they had gotten the idea after two mud baths. We didn't see him for a week. But he showed up last night again. I also ended up with a dead chick. So he was sent home again completely covered in mud. Now I kept it out of his eyes, nose and mouth. They let him run without a collar. The next time he comes and my kids are not home I'm taking him to the shelter.

A mudbath! How original, momof3...I'll pass on that strategy since I don't have children to help do the deed. I'm sorry your chick was killed, did you send a bill for 2 replacement chicks to the dog owner?

Mr.Dad, I've told my chickens to quit pooping on the deck steps, they won't listen. If I were to paintball my flock, they would be so full of paint the eggs would be fluorescent orange. The crowing is a little quieter since my EE roo beat the giblets out of the Jersey Giant roo...he's not physically hurt, just his pride.
Stephanie

I was talking to my dad about this just the other day and he reminded me of something. When I was a kid, a neighbors dog came from down the road and got several of our birds. My dad caught the dog, very gently fut firmly tied the dead chickens to it's collar with bailing twine, and let it go. He did this after he talked to the neighbor, told him that next time we'd have to kill the dog. Dad told him about this very old cure for the problem. Leave the chickens tied to the dog for several days. They lose their appetite for poultry fairly quickly. The neighbor left the birds tied to his dog for four days. It never came back. I imagine they had to air him out for several days before they let him back in the house, too. I find this much less cruel than spray painting messages on the dog. Well, take it or leave it, it's up to you all.

Mark

Spray painting idea is good if using colored hairspray, I wouldn't think you would want to use anything toxic like real spray paint, dogs lick themselves.

Back
Top Bottom