want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

I actually put it in their scratch just enough so you can see a little bit of it so like two table spoons in 50lbs of scratch. And they layed their first full dozen in an ice storm! :yiipchick :thumbsup

Last edited:
I actually put it in their scratch just enough so you can see a little bit of it so like two table spoons in 50lbs of scratch. And they layed their first full dozen in an ice storm!
yippiechickie.gif
thumbsup.gif
i just thought of something we'er puting cayenne in their feed and when we eat it it burns the bones out of us. will it burn the bones out of them to ?

I really need to try this!

I have 6 girls that are 10 months old. I have 2 that have never laid an egg before (EE and Barnavelder). I have 1 EE that laid eggs for 8 weeks and then when I cut the light back from 15 hours to 14 hours, she stopped laying completely. I have 1 EE that had been laying for 2 months and was solid every other day, but now is laying only 1-2 eggs per week after I cut back the light from 14 hours to 13 hours.

I am going to start them on cayenne today and see if that makes any difference. My Barnavelder who hasn't laid any eggs yet, has been squatting hard and has a really red comb for 4 months now - hopefully this might kick-start her. My EE that hasn't laid anything yet looks like she might be starting soon - her comb has turned really red the past 3 weeks and she is investigating the nesting box.

I am just hoping this will kick-start them into a good spring routine. Thanks for the suggestion. I will report back.

Fass

Please remember that chickens normally slow their laying way down in the winter months. Less light which is needed to make the eggs to lay. And yes some chickens do lay throughout the winter. Most do not. That is why the commercial eggeries light them to force the egg laying. Sometimes it is just nice to let them have the break that nature intended.

It will not burn them. Only critters with saliva. My friend uses it to keep the rats out of her feed. Works-burns the patooties out of the rats. Great deterrent.

Hi , this is my first year for chickens. so the red pepper really works and will not harm them? And also , I am gathering that this is a way to keep their body heat so they will lay. Is this the reason?M

Back
Top Bottom