want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

We are going to allow our chickens access to peppers all through the year. Prior posters have worried that the spice will harm chickens, but chickens don't have the same receptors that mammals do which send pain signals to our brains when we eat peppers. Birds don't have them, for the sole purpose that their job is to eat the seed and then poop it out in some other far away location, thus helping the plant propagate. Birds are completely immune to the stuff. Beyond that, the peppers won't spice the chickens' meat, from what I read.

My only concern is that my chickens will eat our entire garden of peppers, poop them out, and then we'll have volunteer pepper plants all over the yard.

Anyone want some jalapenos?
th.gif

not to stir the pot.... but isn't that part of why we want our own eggs? because we know the chickens were just allowed to be chickens? If they were meant to lay year round their environment wouldn't have to be manipulated. Honest question.....

I read this entire thread....hoping someone would answer the same question posed above by Lorije1.

I'm new to keeping chickens, so still have a LOT to learn. That said, I have read on this site more than once that a hen is born with all the eggs she will ever produce (like a human female), so if we feed them cayenne pepper to "increase" egg production, aren't we really just shortening the number of years they will lay? In other words, 300 eggs a year x 7 years vs. 360 eggs a year x 5 years - or something like that?

We bought these girls with the intention of keeping them for egg production. That said, once they stop producing eggs for us, we will continue to love and care for them as we do the rest of our pets. So unless you plan to eat your hens once they stop laying for you, I don't see how this is useful, as you are not going to get MORE eggs, you are just going to get them SOONER.

Correct me if I am wrong, please, but that's my understanding...

Michelle in Massachusetts

Started feeding cayenne to my three hens three days ago. Got one egg today. I hadn't had any eggs for three weeks. That's three three's. I only wanted them to lay so I could have eggs for my incubator next week. I don't plan on doing this every winter.

CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF CAYENNE PEPPER WOULD STILL WORK WITH NO ADDED LIGHTS IN THE WINTER... MANY THANX

I just added some cayenne pepper flakes to my crew's feed. Hope they get back to laying. I have a buyer that wants a dozen and they have slowed to one egg a day and skipped two days without laying. Had been seeing four to five a day from these girls for months. My situation is probably due to the time of year and days shortening. I'm going to start using a light and continue with the pepper and hope for the best.

Back
Top Bottom