want a tip that will make your hens lay like its spring in the winter

not to stir the pot.... but isn't that part of why we want our own eggs? because we know the chickens were just allowed to be chickens? If they were meant to lay year round their environment wouldn't have to be manipulated. Honest question.....

Quote:
My thing is about having chickens lay through the winter is because I don't have a large flock. I'm a true backyard, small chicken coop and all person. I want eggs.
droolin.gif
I don't have 25 birds to lay for me. So, I do like getting some through the winter if I can.
frow.gif

I read in one of my chicken magazines, last night, that if your hens are ''layin' down on the job'', and not laying very well, that you should sit down with them and explain to the group, that if they do not begin to lay as they should, you will be getting out the cone and boiling pot and each day will select one hen for Freezer Camp.
Well, this morning I did just that....I spoke in a firm voice and let them know I expected them to earn their keep starting right now !!
I got almost double the eggs I usually get !! Out of 18 hens I have averaged 5-7 eggs, when this time last year I was getting 80-100% production.....
So perhaps that person who wrote that article knew what they are talking about.....! ? OH and I am also going to get some cayenne pepper tomorrow, just in case my speech didnt do the trick!!
wink.png

I'm in! I have 5 FBCM pullets that are at the point of lay with an EE, an Olive Egger, a banty cross and two adult FBCM of only one which is laying. The Olive egger layed about 5 eggs and quit. The EE did the same. It's been over a month that I haven't got an egg from either of these girls. There are 10 girls in this pen and I'm only getting 1-2 eggs a day from them! Sooo....yesterday I crumbled up a couple of pieces of wheat bread that was sprinkled liberally with cayenne pepper powder. They snarfed it right up. I'll give them some oatmeal treat today with pepper and then back off to every couple of days and see what happens.

Most of all I want eggs from that EE and the Olive Egger to hatch! They're covered by two FBCM roos. I want to hatch more olive eggers!
fl.gif

I started mine on cayenne pepper on Saturday and haven't seen an increase in egg production yet but I am going to keep giving it to them for the rest of the week to see what happens!! I will let you all know in a few more days.
caf.gif

I'll give it a shot. My nine <1yr old hens have been laying 7-9 eggs per day until last week when the temp dropped to 60+ during the day and 38-45 at night..... 6 eggs, then 4 for three days straight, then 3 eggs, then I only got one yesterday.
sad.png

I'm ASSUMING it's the temp, although I've read on here it actually the amount of daylight. We lost more heat than we did daylight last week though..... which would make perfect sense for the pepper to work.

In my coop I have no additional heat, no additional light. It sounds to me like I need to dose two rounded tablespoons for my birds per day. We'll give it a shot and report back. Four per day will feed my house and my neighbor, so that's what I hope for!

EDIT:
Well, the weather has warmed considerably to 80F and I got four eggs again yesterday. It looks like I'll have to postpone the test until the weather is more consistent.

Last edited:
Peppers have always worked for me, except do not give black pepper.
I am surrounded by old time farmers and they all have given me the same advise Peppers, cayenne, or jalapenos, or whatever DO Work.
If my Ameraucanas or RIR's or EE's could only talk.

Back
Top Bottom