Want my "illegal" chickens changed to "legal"

stacym

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
Kennard, Nebraska
I have decided that I do not want to keep "illegal" chickens. I know that I may never be contacted by my village board regarding my birds,but I want to be able to fully enjoy them. Right now they are hidden behind my garden shed in a welded wire pen.
Everytime we want to go in and sit with them we have to do a look see to be sure the neighbors are not in the vicinity to see us. It's cramping our style.
The ordinance states no farm animal(s) in village limits. This includes poultry. I want to change it so that it would allow poultry. I've checked out the information in this site. And it has been very informative.
However, my husband thinks that I'm crazy for becoming a blip on the village radar. That I should lay low and continue doing what I'm doing. The thing is that I am on the second biggest lot in town and I want to build them a coop that can be seen and that we can enjoy without being turned in. How would you go about approaching the five people on the board. There are at least two that would be very closed minded about the birds. Any ideas suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Check out www.catawbacoops.com for a downloadable guide to wading through the muck that is town hall! These folks have done it and spelled it all out for you. Good luck! I'm going to make a presentation to our town commissioners on the 19th to try to have the ordinance amended here in Wake Forest!

here is another site to look at www.madcitychickens.com.

The City of Madison, State Capital of Wisconsin! allows chickens within the city limits, but there are restrictions. Check it out and maybe you cacn use it as some kind of guideline as to what you present to your village board.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the helpful info. I'll post when I have a definite answer from them. It may take awhile. The wheels move slowly here
big_smile.png

Stacy, it may help also to check out my blog. I talk about what I'm doing to change the town ordinance so I can have some legal chickens too... you can email me too if you have questions about where to start. I might be able to help your wheels turn a little faster. Em

Stacy, I agree with you wholeheartedly but I also think that your husband has a point.

The board will likely tell you it needs to do whats best for "everybody". What this means is, that if one person comes to the board and says they want chickens, and the rest off the village doesn't give a flip, then its an easy "no" as far as a vote goes.

If I were you, I would start by rallying support of your neighbors. I have had very good luck in this regard.

Thanks Clarktx ! My husband does have a valid point. I'm hoping to have all my "ducks in a row", so to speak before I present anything to the board. I want to make it so that people who come after me can have birds if they want to.
As for my neighbors, most of them have lived around me for 15 years and are used to my ways. All the neighbors who live across the street and South of me are supportive. Lot's or free veggies help! However, the people renting on the East side of us are not supportive at all. Free Veggies, taking their grass clippings and not complaining about their dogs doesn't seem to be working. :eek:
One of our neighbors suggested that a few of us run for the village board positions that will be open next year. It just doesn't seem right to "load" the board to get your way. Even though I know that is sometimes how it is done.

Quote:
You would not loading the board Stacey - you'd be representing constituents who don’t currently have a voice on this issue! And there is nothing wrong with being one of them yourself.

As Tip O'Neil once said "All politics is local" and it's true.

~Phyllis

Last edited:
You seem to be a wise woman. I think you'll do well.

As for the board, if you win by popular vote, then there is nothing to feel guilty about. Practice saying things like "Your silence was your consent"
wink.png

If I can rattle on a bit more... usually the views of renters aren't counted, only property owners...

clarktx... in my case the renters are counted, only because they're actually residing on that property. So in my case of having to ask permission from all neighbors within 500 feet of my property, I also had to include homes which were occupied by renters. I didn't have to include vacant rentals though. Just FYI...

Stacy - you may need to call the town clerk and ask a few questions about procedure when wanting to have an ordinance changed. You don't have to give any personal information about your situation, just tell them you need to know the procedure and they should give you all of the information you need, that's their job.

Back
Top Bottom