Want some information for future practice

Waddlemyway

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 25, 2014
Florida
My rooster not even one year old died last night, which was devastating to my husband and me. He originally started out with sneezing, shaking his head, and sounding congested. After a couple of days he has issues even crowing. We took him to the vet who stated it was most likely a respiratory infection and he was put on some medicine and he gained his crowing back and seemed to be getting better. We finished the medicine as instructed and then within two days afterwards he started to deteriorate again where he was sneezing still, but it also seemed that when he would bend over to eat his strawberries that he has some issues, but I once again I just thought he was congested. We got a refill on the medication and yesterday he did not crow. My husband was there when it happened, but he said he went out there to give him his snack and medicine and all of a sudden he started what appeared to be choking. My husband looked up how to do the Heimlich on a chicken and started performing the procedure noting that he saw nothing in his throat, but his waddle started to turn purple. He said he tried all he could, but could not save him. I feel guilty because I feel like I could of done more since I was not reading the symptoms. I guess I am wondering if anyone feels this was due to an infection or possibly something else? Also, any suggestions? Shortly after we took him to our house one of our other chickens was sneezing and we always keep the VETRX respiratory natural medicine on hand, which we gave her and she seems fine now. None of the others seem to be having any symptoms. We have been keeping a close eye.

P.S. We recently had a rat problem that we believe we have taken care of, but believe that could be an attributing factor if he caught something from them?

Last edited:
Hi.
frow.gif

That sounds terrible, but your hubby sounds awesome! I am sorry for your loss.

I haven't experienced illness yet, so I can't be much help there. But I would try nutri drench as the vitamins and other things MAY help.

Also, you might contact a state or local ag department to see if they might test do a necropsy on the deceased bird... if it was preserved in the fridge. Some universities have animal science programs as well that might be able to give you insight.

Have you changed anything recently? feed, bedding, run material?

This is our first loss. We have only had chickens for 3 years and the original 6 we started with are doing well. I actually called my avian vet and he asked if he could do a necropsy because he wants to make sure it is not something contagious. So I took him over there and am waiting on results. We had him separated and at our house during his illness so he was only there the first few days sneezing, but better to be safe than sorry. No we havent done anything different. Only thing was the rat issues as mentioned.

Last edited:
My vet actually did it for free I think more for his own piece of mind and mine.

UPDATE: Apparently my rooster had a severe case of pneumonia and bad infections in all of his air sacs we are unsure where he picked this up. He said even with the antibiotics and everything we did to help him he said he was going to deteriorate and it was nothing that we did wrong. My vet stated that for a pet chicken this is fairly rare because they usually get these types of illnesses from being stressed. He confirmed that it was not Mareks disease, which he was already vaccinated for when we got him. This was the one concern the vet had since it can be contagious to the other chickens.

Sorry again for your loss!
hugs.gif

Pneumonia can be very hard to get over. Wish we knew how he got it. Did the vet say you had any worry for contagion? I also wonder if a different medication would have changed anything? No blame, just wondering.

My hubby get's a pneumonia vaccine now. But in the past he usually had to do two rounds of the more effective (z pack) antibiotic that they don't just hand out for everything.

Also, will you thank your husband for me? For being quick thinking and trying to help in an active manner. I am sure this has been difficult for him is well.
sad.png

Thank you for sharing.
Best wishes!

Back
Top Bottom