Want to hatch along? My first incubation :0) Lockdown tomorrow 9-3-11

tongue.png

Quote:

Thanks I really appreciate that. If some of my OEs decide to hatch, I am all good. Turned out I do have some fertile ones after all. I am not sure how many but, hey at least we got some fuzzy butts.
wink.png

You should post some pics.

Quote:

I've been lurking in this site. Mine just hatched Labor Day, but when I read this I fought you might be interested in knowing that hens can store semen for months so you could still have fertile eggs!

When I got home today about 9:30 I had one egg that was zipped about 1/4 of the way. I haven't seen any progress since, I haven't even seen it rock. How long is it usually after they start zipping before they come out? Also I don't see anyone rocking now, how long is it usually after you see them rock? I also saw one rock with a pip at 9:30 and now nothing, does anyone know how long it takes. I know my humidity is a little high should I be worried?
hide.gif

Quote:
from what know, they can take their time so i wouldn't worry too much about it. What is your humidity at? If its going up as they hatch if you have a styrofoam bator they have the vent plugs on top you could pull one out...

If you undo a plug wouldn't the humidity go down quickly. Couldn't that cause, someone to shrink wrap? I think my humidity is okay though it is 59% its not as high as I thought it was. I just go a pip though that I think is in the wrong spot. I haven't done this before but, I think he might be pipping the wrong end. What happens if they pip the wrong end?

Quote:
from what know, they can take their time so i wouldn't worry too much about it. What is your humidity at? If its going up as they hatch if you have a styrofoam bator they have the vent plugs on top you could pull one out...

hi
you wrote..................... I just go a pip though that I think is in the wrong spot. I haven't done this before but, I think he might be pipping the wrong end. What happens if they pip the wrong end?.........................

i have just had my first hatch and one of them pipped in the wrong place. i thought it was dead as there was no action for hours but in the end he/she hatched just fine. i hope yours is OK.

my humidity shot up once they got hatching with all the moisture from the drying out chicks.
best wishes.
x sarah

dandydoodle... humidity is fine at 59, thats more on the low end actually but fine. You dont need to pull a plug at 59. Just leave everything as it is. If your baby is pipping at the small end of the egg then I think there is a risk the baby will drown bc they are supposed to internally pip through the air pocket at big end of egg and then externally pip out of shell. You probably can't get pics of the pip right?
If you have other eggs you are waiting on to hatch I wouldn't interfere with the one pipping on the wrong end. After a pip it could take another 24 hrs to zip and hatch, how long has it been?? I hope he makes it out ok. Do you still just have one baby so far??

Back
Top Bottom