Want to hatch along? My first incubation :0) Lockdown tomorrow 9-3-11

i'll join!!
wee.gif
im going on lockdown on the 6th

What do you do if you accidentally put to much in??? It is gonna be hard to keep it at exactly 70%. I am a little nervous.
hmm.png

Quote:

Sometimes with my broodys I have to pet them a minute then physically put them down by the water bowl. It is almost like they are in a trance and if they don't wake up enough mine won't drink either. You might want to pick your spitz up and putting her next to the water bowl. It is so hot I would be worried she might not be okay if she doesn't drink. I have two that have gone broody but, I won't let them sit on eggs because, of the heat. It is kind of funny one of my broodies got her some rocks and put them under her since I wouldn't let her have eggs.
gig.gif
She is so silly.

I am sure this is a dumb question but, what is a BCM is that some sort of Maran. I haven't learned all the abbreviations yet. I have tried to candle before but, I haven't had much luck with it. I guess I probably need to order some special candeling machine. I can't seem to do it with a flashlight. Well good luck, let us know how your candeling goes.

Michelle

Quote:

Hi, no, I just set mine Saturday, so tomorrow will be a week. I hesitated joining because you were almost to lockdown and I was at the other end, but at the time there wasn't many people so I just thought I'd join in and learn from all of you. BCM is Black Copper Marans, and I'm still learning all those abbreviations too, and still run into LOTS of them I don't know.

For keeping the humidity up after lockdown, it depends on what kind of incubator you have, but we have the LG and my son had a neat idea last time. He got a Bounty paper towel and stuck one end in a bowl of water and put the other end through the hole in the top of the incubator where the red caps had been. it worked great.

Glad you joined. I am sure we will still be sharing pics when your chicks hatch out. I have heard of the bowl with water in sponge but, wouldn't that make the humidity go to high? Do you know how long to keep them in the incubator after they hatch?

Quote:

I'm in the middle of a hatch, too. Put in 8 araucana and 2 BCM. Today was hatch day but yesterday got 4 araucana.....the hatching is really one of natures miracles......so awesome. They are all in good shape, fluffed up and into the brooder. No luck on the rest yet. I used dry incubation which worked great.......if you need to add more water, don't open the bator......use a straw and put it through one of the vents........use warm water and it's OK if some gets on the eggs. Good luck to all.....happy hatching!
smile.png

Wish I could join you! I plan my hatch to begin in a little less than two weeks. It'll be my first time. So I'll be following this thread to see what I can learn. I have SOOO much to learn! Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom