Want to know about Cochin.

Wow. Maybe I will head for Silkies. I always thought that they were ugly but I guess if they will set eggs that would be fine. magichik is the hen that sits so faithfully a Cochin? mylilchix where did you get your Cochins? I heard they laid more like 2 a week.
Thanks everyone.

Hands down the silkie is the best for being broody and hatching eggs. Although, I have a cochin hen that is now broody, and a EE hen that is broody and 2 silkie hens that I just broke from being broody. My cochin's are by far the best layer's I have. I have 10 hens now and I get 10 eggs a day. So I say go with both breeds, lol!

I have a silkie that is the best at being broody/hatching/taking care of the chicks. I actually have to take eggs away from her bc she ends up losing weight. She never gets up to eat/drink while she's setting. I will bring food and water to her bc I don't want anything to happen to her.

Quote:
Cloud is a silkie. This is her with the standard cochin chicks she hatched and raised.

1668_cloudbabies.jpg

silkies are the next best thing to an bator... had a silkie who hatch out 12 game chicks and then 4 weeks later, she found another nest of 6 cochins eggs.... she likes to go exploring to find eggs..lol... she only got about 6 days left on the cochins eggs

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually silkie crosses are better broodies and mothers than silkies. Not that silkies are not good, but the crosses are better. I especially like silkieXbrahma crosses for this, although I have had good broodies from silkieXd'uccle and silkieXaraucana.

I try not to let a silkie or similar sized bird set on more than 10 eggs--and the nest needs a rim so that they are all well contained. 10" or 12" clay bulb pots nake great nests--line with some bedding to make it soft.

Back
Top Bottom