Want to know about Cochin.

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
I am interested in some Cochins. I understand that they are pathetic layers. But I am told that they are etremely good mothers. Is this true? I was reading on another post by vicschicks and someone on their said they were good mothers. My only interest in them is as mothers. I HATE INCUBATING EGGS!!!! I would like to have something that would hatch them for me. I know their are other breeds that are broody like the Easteregger, Australorp, Sussex, ect. But I want something that is better than them all. If you know of something better than a Cochin for broodiness please tell me. I have also heard of the American game being good. Another concern is Cochins are pretty large. Do they eat a lot of feed? Also I read that you sometimes have to trim the feathers around the vent for good fertility. Is this true? When they are not setting eggs for me I would like to breed them.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
Cochins are excellent mothers. Nothing is better then a silkie at being broody. Cochins also come in bantam as well as standard. I have both cochin and silkies and my silkies are the best at incubating eggs.

You think Silkies are better than Cochins?! How many eggs can a Silkie sit on? I suppose they would not eat as much feed. Hmmm.

I have one hen that sits, hatches, stays with the chicks till they are 7 weeks old. She takes a 2 week brake and then sits again. You can sit a clock by her. I have 7 cochin hens. Three have never set a nest they are almost 2 years old. One has set twice one just set her first nest. Cloud, my silkie, has hatched 3 nests and is setting again.

I have cochins, and I love them so much that I'm going to start breeding them. My girls are good layers and I get 4-5 eggs a week per hen. I have a big blue cochin roo who is able to fertilize eggs. They will go broody, and they make good mommas. They're also the calmest birds in my flock. I'd get a couple if I were you!!
Sonja

Some times you have to trim a cochin's tail feather area so they can mate successfuly. Imagine all those feathers getting in the way when they try to breed. You end up with cochin semen all over the feathers and nothing inside to fertilize the eggs.

Last edited by a moderator:
lol.png
Tell me about it lol

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom