Want to turn whole thing into coop? Water proof too? Help!

Thank you everyone for your help and replies! I will take it all into concideration- I will first try talking to the family and if I can’t make any head way that way then I will try to provide as much shelter as possible with what I have. I will say that I have a pretty nice sized run I think (even though bigger would always be better!) I have 202square feet in the run NOT including the coop and small run eglu set up that’s pictured above. I just really need to provide more shelter- that’s the root of my problem. Thank you again! When it is all figured out I will post a final picture here for all of you guys to see

I have 202square feet in the run NOT including the coop and small run eglu set up that’s pictured above. I just really need to provide more shelter- that’s the root of my problem.

The coop is always in the shade so it won’t come into contact with the sun at all...I feel like the downside of canvas is it could get wet easily and take days to dry out since my cooo is always in the shade.

So all you need is a waterproof top/sides on the existing Eglu "run."

I agree with Parront that tarp is a good solution. Just attach it with zip ties or bungee cords or pieces of string or anything handy.

Run the tarp from the ground on one side, up and over the top, down the other side. Leave the two ends uncovered for ventilation.

The wire mesh of the run can support tarp just fine, as long as you don't get several feet of snow on top (unlikely, given that you're in Georgia.)

So all you need is a waterproof top/sides on the existing Eglu "run."

I agree with Parront that tarp is a good solution. Just attach it with zip ties or bungee cords or pieces of string or anything handy.

Run the tarp from the ground on one side, up and over the top, down the other side. Leave the two ends uncovered for ventilation.

The wire mesh of the run can support tarp just fine, as long as you don't get several feet of snow on top (unlikely, given that you're in Georgia.)
Perfect thank you for this! I like the zip tie idea!

Or, keep this one. And try to locate a child’s playhouse that someone is wanting to get rid of for free or dirt cheap on Facebook, Craigslist, etc and with some minor modifications convert that into a coop and use the one you have now as an attached run? Something like this perhaps? Use 1/2in hardware cloth to secure the windows, etc.

3AE8E186-DC08-4D76-9586-8E18F574835B.jpeg

Tarp is .98 at Harbor freight for a 5x7. that would do the job! Do not over think it! Your cute coop is from England, not GA. They have to worry about cold and damp a lot more than you do!
Haha that’s very true! Tarp it is! I worry more about the heat! I need to install a fan too in the run part corner I think! It gets way too hot in the summer here! That way it can blow cool air into the eglu and hopefully help keep it cycling better! But in the winter I think the eglu is gonna be really nice considering it’s from England and all and I’m in GA 😂😂

Tarp and zip ties will work. Keep an eye out in trash and see what else you can find. And be careful about your own personal safety but you can find Free coops, sheds, dog houses, plastic toy houses on craigslist. Safety comes first but you can find great stuff.

Haha that’s very true! Tarp it is! I worry more about the heat! I need to install a fan too in the run part corner I think! It gets way too hot in the summer here! That way it can blow cool air into the eglu and hopefully help keep it cycling better! But in the winter I think the eglu is gonna be really nice considering it’s from England and all and I’m in GA 😂😂
Chickens know if they are hot. They will not go into the hot Eglu. Birds are smarter than us, especially about what is good for birds!;)

Chickens know if they are hot. They will not go into the hot Eglu. Birds are smarter than us, especially about what is good for birds!;)
Yes for sure!! Random question- but does anyone know how to do a fly strike check on birds? Like how do I tell/examine this? One of my babies has been really lethargic and has been laying down almost 24/7 in the coop. If I look in between feathers will that tell me if there has been some sort of bug attack? Or is it all internal? I know this isn’t a heath safety post thread- just thought I’d see if y’all have any advice on this

Back
Top Bottom