Wanted: Info on Urch/Turnland

I have some Duane Urch sumatra chicks in the brooder (I purchased them from a 4-h auction without being able to get a good look first, they were labeled as wyandottes but aren't) along with four black standard wyandottes from his line. They look nice, and those who had had very yellow feet are darkening, so hopefully they will be black legged with only yellow bottoms to the feet.

I'm not keeping the Sumatras, if you want some I can't ship but I will be going to the Stevenson, WA show and can bring them. Their feathers were in rotten condition as they were squeezing out of the brooder through chicken wire, (1 week ago at the time of photos) but are looking great now that I have them in a larger brooder they can't get out of. Already getting the green sheen and the tails are longer now. Little buggers can FLY.
March2010011.jpg

March2010005.jpg

Also, I recommend not getting the bantam cresteds from him. The 4-h kids were let down by the quality of his bantam cresteds from last year, especially the silkies. I had some standard fowl white wyandottes from him that were quite nice.

11594_newchicks1.jpg

These are descended from Duane Urch's stock. I got them from a private breeder in southern Michigan. I never knew how famous he was.
smile.png

Edited because I put the wrong pic on.

Last edited:
Quote:
Their Cochins are wayyyyy better than hatchery birds but they are not show winners, one year we got the assortment of 100 and we got like 40 Cochins and they weren't that good, they had good color but their size was to small. HTHs

My daughter's 4H group has ordered through Urch/Turnland a few times, and so I've seen the kids show multiple breeds of the bantams. They're not always the winners (the kids are usually showing fairly young pullets/cockerels when the fairs come around), but the judge usually smiles when he sees them and does not struggle to find nice things to say about them.

He has great birds, Some of the breeds are nicer than others. I dont think anyone can keep 100 breeds and have them all be top top. I bought some brown red modern game bantams from him and I think they are great quality. Something I can work with.

I know someone who bought standard cochins from him and they just love them. I hear his Salmon Favorelles are Huge. At a show last year they had to put his Salmon Favorelles in a Goose cage!!!!

He has also supplied the "museum" with the pure Java line. I think it is Garfield Museum. You can read about him on the ALBC site.

He is also very pleasant and easy to work with.

We ordered bantams from him last year and have mixed feelings. We have never had problems with chicks like we had with his. Lost 4 in the fist 2 weeks. Had 2 develope leg problems, lost 1 more at about 5 weeks. His buckeyes were good quality but nasty tempered rooster. The cochins are nice, much better than hatchery stock but far from show quality. Nice crests on the polish but poor quality combs. We provided a list of 9 possible breeds for him to pick from, hoping to get a varity of 3 or 4 breeds, and we recieved a breed we had not requested, daughter ended up selling those. It took awhile to id the chicks as he did not provide a list of what he sent. The order was moved back several times. Overall, I would not order from him again. I think he has some very good birds but I think the bulk of what he sells is just above basic hatchery. I will go with smaller breeders. JMHO

Here are some bantam buff Brahmas that came from Urch as day old chicks, out and about:

leaf_8759.jpg

IMG_2956.jpg

IMG_3462.jpg

I don't think these particular individuals are National quality, but they're nice chickens and they've won nice ribbons at small shows.

Last edited:
Hi, I know this thread is old but does anybody have a new ad of theirs? Also do you know if they ship year round or if they just do it during the spring?

Thanks

Just wanted to add that the partridge and black cochin hens I have that originated from his breeder stock are very typy. I'll post pics as soon as I get some. The blue and splash not so much, but still very cochin looking. I'll post pics when I take some.

Back
Top Bottom