Wanted, laying hens PA

sara

Title Needed Here
12 Years
Jun 25, 2007
at the covered bridge, PA
Anyone have a couple hens that are actually laying in eastern, PA. Mine have completely stopped. I can't even eat an egg for breakfast!
barnie.gif

Hi Sara, I have a friend who has a trio of araucana for sale. I think they are black, but not positive. Let me know if you might be interested and I will put you in touch with him. I don't think he'll sell the girls without the cockerel, but not sure on that either. I also don't know they're exact age and if they're laying yet - but as soon as he told me about them I thought of you. Let me know.

Jody

I don't think that would be a problem to take the roo, as long as he isn't aggresive towards my kids.

Do you have any buff orpington chicks? I saw you had hatched a bunch of stuff a few weeks ago in a post, but don't know if they were sold.

Araucana generally are not an aggressive breed, but there are always exceptions. I am not sure of the cockerels personality. I spoke with my friend last night. He says the male is a gold duckwing (possibly show quality) with even bilateral tufts and rumpless. The two pullets have been laying - one is double tufted and the other is clean faced - both are rumpless. The male is about 6 lbs and the females around 5 lbs. The one pullet has feathers off her back from the previous male she was with. These will regrow, but he wanted me to mention that. He is asking $50 for the trio.

I am not sure if I am parting with any of my orps yet. Still trying to figure out who's who as far as gender. I do have a couple started cockerels in the orps, but you probably won't need those.

I also have a pair of bantam buff ameraucana. They are young - the cockerel is crowing but the pullet is not laying yet. These are real gentle birds. I can look up their exact ages if you're interested. I'm asking $40 for the pair. Possibly have a hen I could add in this group if you're interested.

Jody

where are you in PA, I have 4 Buff Orp Hens That I was going to Butcher , I think at least one of these are laying but I'm not sure. I would sell these 4 for $15.00 if your intesested

Quote:
Ok, hmm. I wasn't expecting show quality birds. I have to think about it a little with Christmas coming..money is a little tighter. The question I have is what is the story with the fatal gene for these birds. I'm trying to find it online. Is that when a tufted is bred to a tufted? If I got these birds I'd probably try hatching the eggs, so just want to figure this out first. If I would get them, would it be possible to pick them up at your place since I know where you are?
thanks,
sara

Oh and is it possible to get a picture of them?

Last edited:
Quote:
How old are they? My brother is coming down from mansfield area tomorrow..hmm I don't know if he could pick them up or not. Do you have a picture of them?

Last edited:
Sara, I'm going to send you an email with more info on the tuft to tuft breeding. Keep an eye for it from me. Let me know if you have more questions.

Jody

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of them as yet , although I probably could take a pic or 2 in the morning. I won't be here after 10 am tommorrow

Back
Top Bottom