Wanted... Maran eggs or chicks

Frozen Feathers

Songster
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Maine
I'm looking for some Maran eggs. Prefer Black Copper or really any color besides Barred. French Marans wouldn't be bad either. Or if you're in Maine or NH and have some Maran chicks, I'm looking to buy.
I want to see pics of your birds and eggs before I buy anything, though.
Thanks for any leads.
big_smile.png

ok woman,lol
some said try mergmet,,so i will see if she said she sends out 20 chicks at a time,so how many are for you?

There really isn't any variety called "French".

Somewhere along the line I think people just started calling their birds French Marans, on the assumption that that meant they were better birds. I personally would be wary of anyone selling "French Marans". Are they just mixing birds of different varieties, and if they all have feathered shanks (part of the standard for the bird in France) are they "French?" What about the most important thing, being egg color?? Is the variety really pure? If someone says that are breeding "Copper Blacks to the French standard" or something like that, that I get and that's the way it should be phrased. There are two different standards, and if you're breeding for one, you should let people know (I have Cuckoos and I'd like eventually to have a pen of birds that meets the French standard). But even the best breeders in the country often mix their "French" and "American" standard birds....there's quite a limited gene pool of birds that truly orginated in France.

OK, I'll get off my Marans soapox now, sorry!
lol.png
I've just spent a lot of time and money and done a lot of research on these birds, so I guess I developed a few little pet peeves along the way...
wink.png

Yes, Mergmet (Margaret) does have Black Coppers. You said you didn't want Cuckoo, but I think that Margaret has those, too...also GinasMarans....and I think there's someone else, MaransGuy?? maybe, too....did you check out the feedback sticky at the top of the forum?

I had no idea Crunchie. I thought that a "French" Maran was feather footed is all.
idunno.gif

I just really want 3 or 4 hens to cross with my EE to try and get hens that lay olive colored eggs.
big_smile.png

Quote:
If only it were that simple!
lol.png

Should be easy enough to find some dark egg layers to make your olive eggers. Welsummers would probably work, too?

Quote:
lol, that's what I'm doing with the marans & welsummers I hatched.
wink.png

I purchased eggs from Mergmet, she has black copper, cucko (Barred), wheaten, and golden. I got 8 chicks from 18 shipped eggs: 2 cucko, 2 black copper, 1 wheaten, 1 wheaten/cucko, and 2 golden (we think).

I know the wheaten and golden are feather shanked, I gotta check the others.. at hatch only one of the black copper had feathered legs and the cucko had none.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom