WANTED: MILLE FLEUR COCHIN(S)

crzy4peafowl

Songster
14 Years
Sep 5, 2008
Texas
I saw a pair of these beautiful little birds up for auction on eggbid. Unfortunately, I was not home when the auction ended to place a bid. I am looking for adults, started, chicks, or even hatching eggs. Would appreciate any help. I am willing to pay for shipping to Texas.

I have mottled pullets in with a decent mille fleur cochin roo. Just set a first test clutch and fertility is great. Some of the egss are pointy, but I should be able to scrape up a decent lot to mail. Laying has slowed down from a recent heat wave, but as soon as it picks up I will try selling some on eggbid.

Thanks on the spot.

I will keep my eye out on eggbid. If you are willing to sell them out right without going through an auction, that would be great for me as well. Just set your price with shipping included. Email me the info and I will gladly send a money order or pay through paypal.

I am waiting for some eggs to hatch to make sure the eggs are good, hatchable eggs, not just fertile. I will post pics of the chicks when/if they make it. I started putting eggs under her on the 18th of this month. according to my handy dandy egg timer table from the silkie club, they should start hatching on October 9th. Check out this link, it is GREAT!

http://www.americansilkiebantamclub.org/incubationtables.htm

I kept pulling the best looking eggs to put under the broody for about a week, and quit when there were seventeen under there! I think that ought to give me a good idea, and SOMETHING should hatch. I pulled out a few dud looking ones the other day, left her about a dozen or so. Seventeen looked like too much. Too many little bits of egg showing out around the edges! She is bedded deep with bermuda hay and the weather is warm and sort of humid, so I'm hoping for something to show in a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
That all sounds so EGGciting!!!! I would be checking under that little broody every day to check on the eggs. Again, please keep me in mind for chicks or hatching eggs. I will definitely be checking back with you a couple days before Oct 9. HAPPY HATCHING!!!

LOL you ain't kidding about checking every day under her. When I pull her out to make her eat and stuff, i candle the eggs. I keep my candler plugged into an extension cord and draped under the door to her broody place and lying on top of the nest box so I can candle them any time, day or night! i am trying to leave her be, as she is a first time broody and young one too. She only hatched the end of March! As far as I know, child labor laws to not extend to chickens, so I think I am safe from the long arm of the law as far as working her too young... LOL

Hi,
You have your mille fleur roo with mottled hens?
Trying to remember what was on your website. lol!
So this will be the first hatch of that cross?
How many do you think will actually be the mille fleur color?
Will it be more set in further generations?
I thought to get the mille fleur you have to take mottled to columbian?
Will the mille fleur roo add the brown to the mottled?
Thanks for any insights.
Angela

time will tell, but I think they will all be mottled, and all will carry mille fleur. If you breed the offspring together you should get some mille fleurs out of that cross, or if you cross them on a mille fleur you should get twice as many as F1 X F1
I have read different ideas, and i decided it doesn't matter what I read, whatever I get will tell me what I need to know.

I don't really have much choice in how I start. I got a dozen eggs off eggbid and the only mille that hatched was one roo. The only thing I have to cross him on is mottled hens, so... here we are... If I had a mille hen, she'd be in there with him, trust me.

I have a young mille fleur bantam cochin trio. Not laying yet. They will eventually be integrated with a mixed flock, but if enough people bug me in the spring I may separate them out long enough to mail out some pure eggs for hatching. Check back with me when the weather warms up!

Oh, and I've got pics from a few weeks ago, but some time this week I'm gonna try to get updated pics. keep an eye on the "breeds and genetics" section.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom