Wanted: Millie Pullet, Silkie Roo

What color of silkie roo? Are you just wanting pet quality or are you looking for potential show or breeder quality? What sort of price ballpark are you looking at? It costs approximately $50 to have a silkie rooster shipped your way. Are you wanting to ship one in?

I have 5 young buff silkie roos that are leaking a lot of white or black. None are show quality. All are pet quality. They will be good natured roosters, but are not appropriate for quality breeding due to the color issues. They all have good toe placement and nice overall conformation. They're just mis-colored. The rooster I was using at the end of last summer has a hidden black feather gene floating about in there. Almost all of the offspring came out with a lot of black in topknots and tails.

I have two smooth feathered Sizzle cockerels that are free to a good home and I live just a few hours west of you in the Quad Cities. Sizzles are a new breed being developed from Silkies. This breed looks like a silkie but with "regular" feathers so you may not be interested, but I thought I'd at least mention it. They are nice birds, one jet black, one birchen.

I have two smooth feathered Sizzle cockerels that are free to a good home and I live just a few hours west of you in the Quad Cities. Sizzles are a new breed being developed from Silkies. This breed looks like a silkie but with "regular" feathers so you may not be interested, but I thought I'd at least mention it. They are nice birds, one jet black, one birchen.

Actually, Sizzles are not smooth feathered. They are hard feathered frizzled silkies.
"SIZZLES are a cross between a Frizzled Cochin & a Silkie. The current standard we are working with is the Silkie standard with one big difference. We want a hard frizzled feather on a Sizzle - NOT a frizzled silkie feather! We are following all the silkie standard except for the type of feather. Crest, turquoise ears, feathered feet, five toes, everything except for the feather type follows the Silkie standard."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/221512/defining-sizzles

A cross between a silkie and non-frizzled other breed creates a smooth feathered mix that can also have silkie characteristics (extra toes, dark skin, turquoise ear lobes, etc). As a rule, they are pretty adorable with those elvis hairdos and are generally really fun little birds. I have several that are half silkie and they are cute as they can be. But if they are smooth feathered and not frizzled (the feathers that turn up backwards), they are not sizzles.

Back
Top Bottom