Wanted to share a great tip I got and use every day~

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tyjaco, Mar 18, 2012.

1. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    At my old job, my boss always made this suggestion to folks who asked about portable fencing.
    Keep in mind - this is NOT predator proof.

I made several of these and have been using them every single day - for one thing or another.

Use PVC pipe (there are different sizes, so pick the one you think will be strong enough for you)
    Use a PVC cutter and cut 4 equal lengths (to make it square - but you can make it any shape that suits your needs)
    Using PVC 'corners" push it all together to make a frame.
    Now use chicken wire, or poultry cloth and wire ties (zip ties) to make a screened in panel.

When we were moving, I made 12 of these - 4' x 5'.

I zip tie them together to get an "accordian" effect. I can move them anywhere -

Oh, and you can also spray paint them green (or whatever) to blend in with your yard...

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That is a good idea for a moovable day time run for the chickens.

3. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

PICTURE ?

4. tyjaco

tyjaco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Cloverdale, CA
    I'll post one tomorrow - I can't find it on my pc

5. Cosmopolis Chick

Cosmopolis Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2010
    Grays Harbor
    Say-y-y-y, I was just thinking about putting together an area for my hen with new chicks. They are doing Ok in with the other hens but they would definitely do better with a space of their own. I got rid of the few hens I had that thought it was OK to try to eat chickies brains, but it can get rough sometimes out there. THANKS!

eta: IT WILL NEED A TOP OF COURSE OR ALL OF THE GIRLS WILL FLY OVER AND NOT KNOW HOW TO GET OUT . ;)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by