Wanted to share the love...

My bread is baked and pale. I live in higher altitude could this be the problem 3,200 feet. It was still doughy in the center when the cook time was up. put it back in for a few it tastes okay but not what I was expecting. Any suggestions are very welcome and needed.

I live at 7400+ feet in elevation. At 3200 feet you should be OK. The only problem with high altitude baking is that bread will rise too fast and not get a chance to create the right texture so I have to reduce the yeast and do a 3 rise system: 45 minutes - punch down; 25 minutes - punch down, 5 minute rest, shape, 25 minute rise till doubled - then bake.
If it was pale and still doughy - it was not cooked completely. Either the recipe has too low a temp for baking, your oven is not as hot as it should be or you just need to bake it longer. My recipes call for 375 for bread in a pan and 425 for french/italian loaves. Baking it longer will not be a problem - I have had loaves come out of the oven really, really dark - but that was how long it took for it to bake through. Tap the bread on the bottom and if it sounds hollow -it is done. For bread in a pan, tapping on top will work but doesn't make the sound nearly as well.
Also, make sure that it has risen completely before trying to bake it. If it hasn't expanded enough, it can come out doughy and heavy even if it is cooked.

Tried another way of making the dough and it was better still pale and very dense but this loaf is edible the first one could be used as a weapon or for building material. It has a really nice sour taste but you can't make a sandwich with it or even toast. I followed the heat temp that was given the first one was 370 for 30 minutes and the second was 350 for 1 hr.

Really want to make some sourdough bread but am becoming discouraged. My hens would not eat the first one took one peck and that was about it. You know something is bad when your chickens won't eat it.

Maybe not enough flour in the recipe or you may need to add some wheat gluten to give it some stretch. Once I started adding wheat gluten, my breads improved by leaps and bounds.
How is the dough when you knead it? It should not be sticky. I mix my dough in my kitchenaid mixer - I add ingredients per the recipe and mix. I have a spray bottle that I use to add additional water if the flour is not mixing in well, like dry flour in the bottom of the bowl give teh flour a squirt of water and the blob of dough on the mixer will pick it up. Or if it is too wet and sticky I will sprinkle in flour and mix until it it cleans the sides of the bowl. I make sure to knead the dough in the mixer for at least 8 minutes to develop that gluten. The gluten will strengthen the walls of the air bubbles so the bread can rise and get fluffy. When you think it is mixed completely - pinch off a little piece of dough and roll it between your fingers. Play with it a little bit, flatten it and try to stretch it. You will learn the feel of the dough when it is ready - slightly firm, not sticky, and will stretch a little before ripping.

The first loaf the dough was beautiful and rose great but the loaf came out like a brick....the second time tried a different method where the kneading is done in the bowl with a spoon for 5 to 10 minutes then you scoop it out and pour it into the loaf pan....this one surprisingly came out much better it rose above the pan and cooked well but it was very dense, had a very nice sour taste. The first one I followed the instruction videos method of kneading I should have use the KA as well have in the past with other breads. I will pm you with the site to go to so you may watch this unusual way of making bread dough I am not clear as to what sites I can post. Thanks for the tips

As for the bread coming out better when kneading with a spoon, and the original recipe the OP posted where it's kneaded for 10 minutes. Something I found out by accident is that the longer you knead the bread, the softer the texture will be. Though it can be kneaded too long. Or so I've heard. I do it all by hand so mine isn't likely to be kneaded "too long!"

In this way I have found I can make a nice, hardy french loaf with the same recipe I use to make more of a soft sandwich bread.

And the butter on the original recipe actually serves a purpose other than flavor alone. If you butter the loaf it will have a softer crust, quicker. The oils act as a sealer to help keep the steam in the loaf as it's cooling. Of course if you bag it after cooling and then slice it the next day, the crust will likely be soft anyway. But after brushing the hot loaf with butter, it's just plain better.

I'll be trying this recipe! I don't generally like an overly soft loaf but it sure makes great toast and grilled cheese!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom