Wanting chickens for our autistic girl

Hi, new to the group, we're moving house, and the new place has a coop, so we are looking for a couple of laying hens for our little autistic girl. We live in the Geelong region, and can't seem to find out where we can get some chickens from... having them would help her sensory development, especially teaching her how to raise pets, such as feeding etc and collecting their eggs. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to BackYard Chickens! We're glad that you've decided to join us, and we hope that you enjoy your time on our site.

Chickens are wonderful little therapy creatures! I don't know what you'll be able to find, but here are a few breeds that seem to be both relatively docile and good for eggs:
ISA Browns (Red Sexlinks) are pretty docile -- especially if you handle them a lot when they're young -- and they lay lots of pretty brown eggs. TSC usually seems to get a batch of them in the spring.
Easter Eggers are a lot of fun, and are very fluffy, though they might be skittish. They have muffs on their face, as well as a beard, and their eggs might be blue, green, brown, or even pink! You don't know what you'll get until they start laying.
Leghorns are excellent layer birds with big, floppy combs. I've never kept them, so I can't say anything about their temperament, but they're known to be prolific layers of white eggs.

Bantams can also be a lot of fun to have. They're small and lay tiny eggs, but they also seem to be more prone to going broody. There are a ton of different breeds out there.

I hope that you can get some chickens for you and your daughter to enjoy! May God bless you. Have a wonderful day! ❤️

Hi, new to the group, we're moving house, and the new place has a coop, so we are looking for a couple of laying hens for our little autistic girl. We live in the Geelong region, and can't seem to find out where we can get some chickens from... having them would help her sensory development, especially teaching her how to raise pets, such as feeding etc and collecting their eggs. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! Fellow autistic chicken lady in melbourne 💛💛💛 had any luck?

Back
Top Bottom