wanting eggs! questions about how to get them.

earthnut

Songster
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Seattle, Cascadia
I want to get 6 eggs of blue ameraucanas. Is there anyone here that sells them? If not, do you know where I could get some? I only want 6. who sells that few? Thanks!

If the eggs are going to be shipped you will want more than 6. There is a spot on Poultry Connection that you can post what you're looking for. Check to see if there is a Yahoo group dedicated to the breed and post on there.

Basically look for any websites that are breed related or give you the ability to post what you're looking for.

Hi! I have blue (and black and splash) Ameraucanas but they aren't laying right now.
The only way you'd be certain to get all blue chicks is if the eggs are from a black x splash mating.
From blue x blue, you might get blue, black, or splash chicks.
I'd be glad to save eggs for you if you don't mind waiting.

280280400.jpg

Lisa

thanks for the offer Dipsy! I found a few breeders online and I sent them emails - waiting for a response. I'd like to get them now (I'm impatient
lol.png
) but if I can't find anyone I'll keep you in mind.

Robin, why not just 6? I found a couple breeders that will ship 6. I know chicks need the warmth of numbers, but to my understanding, eggs don't...
hu.gif
I'll check out the poultry connection.

Shipping is very hard on the hatchability of eggs. When ordering only 6, you could very well get a zero/1 hatch or up to 4, 4 being a very slim happening. The further away the lower your chances. I have a particularly bad problem with eggs coming out of PA. Don't ask me why but I have experienced all of my zero hatches from there from more than one breeder. Everyone of those was more than six eggs.

I forget what the average percentage is for shipped eggs, I get anywhere from 50 to 70%. But then I've done it a few times.

You need to assume that not every one will hatch, especially with shipped eggs. For instance, once I got a dozen eggs. After first candling, there were nine. At second candling there were seven, I think. Only two hatched and one was a cockerel. Shipping isn't much different with a half dozen than a dozen, so I'd say at least buy a dozen.
I have two blue Ameraucana pullets with my black Ameraucana cockerel, but I'm booked on their eggs for a few weeks and only one is laying right now.

I know what you mean. I'm not the most patient person either
smile.png

Things have begun to settle back down here and I expect (hope) the girls will start laying again soon.
If you don't find what you are looking for, just yell.

Froggy, I have a few blue girls and a black girl that I could sell, and some black cockerels.
Are you close enough to Aiken, SC to come get them?

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom