Wanting to add Ducks, help me pick!

View attachment 1238408 If you want eggs the Khaki Campbell’s are hard to beat. My three girls kept laying all last winter and are still laying this winter (no extra light).

SO pretty! Are they friendly? A friend of mine raises them as his wife is allergic to chicken eggs, but his are super flighty. I know a lot depends on how you raise them, but wasn’t sure if it was just a breed trait?

SO pretty! Are they friendly? A friend of mine raises them as his wife is allergic to chicken eggs, but his are super flighty. I know a lot depends on how you raise them, but wasn’t sure if it was just a breed trait?
I don’t think mine are flighty but I haven’t had any other breed. I did hatch three, I bought the other two at two or three days old and spent a lot of time with them. They come running when they see me, hoping for treats, and quack when they hear me get out of my car after work. I suspect you can’t go wrong with any ducks.

I have to agree with the Welsh Harlequin folks. I have a pair and they are sweet, mellow and quiet. Their good looks don't hurt either! Also have a very quiet and friendly Magpie hen as well as a fantastic, albeit fat, Rouen hen.
I have a lot of Cayugas and they are flighty, loud as all get out and my least favorite of all my gals though they are probably the best layers - reliable through the winter even without light for their first couple seasons.
Unless you are wanting to hatch out ducklings, I would not bother with drakes. They just hassle the gals constantly during mating season and can get violent. I have two that are pretty nice (Cayuga/Runner mix and the Welsh) so they are allowed to live. Straight Cayuga and Magpie males were all awful and lost their heads.
I have always hatched mine out under chickens seeing as none of my ducks have cared to brood. Works like a charm and the ducks turn out much friendlier that way :)
Ducks are an endless source of entertainment - Good luck!!!

Yours are quiet? :eek:
:lau:lau:lau
Actually mine aren't loud most of the time but when they decide to cut loose wozers!:gig
:lol:
Well, to be specific, the MALE CALLS are quiet. The females not so much............
They snuggle silently in the coop right now with all the snow outside, so maybe I'm forgetting LOL.
I didn't see the dual-purpose part. I just have fallen in love with the breed, and ducks in general

I, too, am a mom to Welshies! I have 7, with 2 being drakes. They are FULL of personality & super friendly if you work w/ them. My 4 year old can feed them from her hand. And yes, males' bills are black for the first few days after birth. The only time they get loud is when they hear or see me & get tickled! Awesome choice!

Back
Top Bottom