Wanting to sprout seeds for chickens and quails

Woodey2

Songster
Jul 8, 2018
Virginia, USA
Hello! I am interested in sprouting seeds for my chicken and soon to be quail. Any advice would be of great help.... HOW? what type of seeds? What seeds not to do? ect...

Thank you,
Brenda

snowdaddy28.jpg
purslane712.jpg
Millet & Sorghum are good. They are the main ingredients in most wild bird seed.
Black Oil Sunflowers are good. Those are the 3 plants in this video.
They only grew for about 6 days.
I also grow my birds rye grass, purslane & I've just started growing comfrey.
My birds free range but this gives them a powerful vitamin & protein boost.

Plotspike forage oats for deer at TSC isn't a bad price for oats, I thought it was $30 for 30lbs but it's showing 50lbs now which is much better.
Clover and Alfalfa sprouts are also good.
Bean sprouts are high in protein, and FYI, dollar store dry beans sprout excellent! Buck for a two pound bag if you have a real $ store near you.

Bean sprouts are high in protein, and FYI, dollar store dry beans sprout excellent!

Be careful with beans. Some of them are toxic when sprouted unless cooked, such as Kidney beans & Cannelloni beans.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/largebeans.html

Sprouts in general are riskier than planting for microgreens, due to bacteria dangers.
https://www.eatright.org/homefoodsafety/safety-tips/food/are-sprouts-safe-to-eat

Whole Peas are a good choice and can be found in ethnic food stores.

pearoots116.jpg

What do you think is most nutritious and which do you think is most cost effective - fermenting regular chicken feed, fermenting whole grain feed, sprouting, or microgreens? I want to feed as healthy as possible and not break the bank!

Yes, I'm sure it will be fine.
I use the TSC variety because it's only $9.50 for 35 pounds.
Keep the ground wet for the first 2 days, then only water mid-morning, so the sun burns off the moisture on top before any mold can form.

Thanks! Do you know how many hours of sun a day would be required? I don't have a very big yard and it is hard to find a spot that gets sun all day long.

Back
Top Bottom