Warm Oatmeal during cold days and nights !

Mommachick4

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 21, 2014
I make warm oatmeal for my girls and they gobble it down ! Helps to warm them up for the cold days ! I give them lettuce,fruit they love grapes and kiwi ! sometimes some bread. BUT im finding they are getting bored with all that ....any suggestions

Also I saw a post about hanging a cabbage for them to jump at ? anyone try this......I know they jump for the container of dried meal worms !

Mine love stale popcorn, free from the movie theater (it is plain, no seasonings or salt)

If it is below freezing, watch the warm oatmeal, or any other moist foods. If it sticks to their wattles it can freeze and cause frostbite.

Mine love cleaning up a cooked poultry carcass. Make sure it is in a predator proof run, since dogs will want it too.

Mine wont touch popcorn !!! They love cracked corn or fresh corn but not popped ! Mine are funny girls they clean each other up, but if not I use a warm moist towel and clean them up ! Yep I spoil them !

I mix scratch grains in a mulch pile and they dig in it for a while. And tie cabbages to the end of a shepherd's hook plant holder and they jump for it.

I feed mine most anything except meat, onions, and garlic. They love my homemade cornbread.. I rotate my feeds, once a month and they seem to be doing fine. When I can, I dig them up fresh bugs.

One thing that ive heard of, but never tried, is almost like a homemade mealworm dispenser. You take an empty cardboard oatmeal container, punch some holes in it, and then fill it with mealworms (well, not FILL it but you know what I mean). Then put it on the ground and the chickens will kick it around to get the worms out. It sounds like fun and something that will keep them busy for a while.

Back
Top Bottom