Warm winter hats for Roosters

I love that!! My rooster Napoleon who passed away this summer would have loved to have had one of these! He got such terrible frostbite a few years ago, his wattles froze solid because they got wet and his comb was super cold. They turned black and he had infection and almost died, but he pulled through, and unfortunately, per vets orders, had to be kept in a cage in the coop whenever it was below 32*F. He hated being in there! But on a positive note I was so in tune with the temperature I felt like Mother Nature herself. I could practically step outside and tell you the temperature exactly because I was always moving him back and forth because I didn’t want him to be inside a second longer than he had to be. My current rooster has a small comb but these are such a good idea honestly.
Aw... I had a bantam rooster name Napoleon. He was a cubalaya. We sold him.
I’m sorry for your loss 😞

Aw... I had a bantam rooster name Napoleon. He was a cubalaya. We sold him.
I’m sorry for your loss 😞
My boy was fierce and lived up to his name honestly! He was very brave! He was also a gentleman with the ladies—honestly the most selfless and wonderful rooster I’ve ever had.

Thank you, I miss him quite a bit but it’s getting easier.

My boy was fierce and lived up to his name honestly! He was very brave! He was also a gentleman with the ladies—honestly the most selfless and wonderful rooster I’ve ever had.

Thank you, I miss him quite a bit but it’s getting easier.

🤗 Just keep being a good chicken mom! Your little roo had a way better life than most roosters, and that’s all we can do!

I only leave them on when it is brutal. (Wind chill factor in teens or when it is wet and cold.)

Usually, no more than a week, then I check them, wash the hats and reapply if necessary.
How do you remove the adhesive?
Does it drive them nuts to have the 'hat' on.....probably some more than others.

I made my roosters winter hats.

Yes. I can already hear it. “They don’t need hats or heat, I live at the South Pole and my chickens live with penguins and never need heat or hats.

I’m doing this for me.

It makes me feel better when their heads are warm.

Also. It makes me laugh. (I’m mostly doing it for this reason.)

it’s basically a 5 inch by 5 inch square of fleece folded in half and sewn on 3 sides with a hole for the base. I use a dot of liquid bandage to stick it on.

I once had a rooster who got blisters the size of nickels from the cold. I am not living through that guilt again. In addition to a coop with more ventilation, I make hats.

View attachment 2461422View attachment 2461434View attachment 2461435
Make some with designs! Red is to simple. They need polka dots and stripes.

How do you remove the adhesive?
Does it drive them nuts to have the 'hat' on.....probably some more than others.

For about 20 seconds, they fiddle with it and shake their heads. But after that,they forget it’s on.

Ive learned if I use any other color than red, they hate it and the hens will peck at it. So, the color actually matters.

A gentle tug and the adhesive comes off.

Back
Top Bottom