Warning against using heat lamps in winter

our temps haven't been that cold this year, (maybe 5 with windchill) but I usually just give them more hay and shredded leaves for them to dig themselves into. mine will usually stop roosting and cram together in a small area when the temps get real cold, so ive stayed away from the heaters.

big_smile.png

Sorry you lost your flock.
What are your lamps mounted in? Looks like pieces of OSB or plywood? There are safer methods to using heat in coops such as installing proper wiring and light fixtures and avoiding temporary fixtures that could fall, if I were to mount my lights like this I would use a piece of durarock or other such cement board that isn't combustible.

Last edited:
I use heat lamps in my coop but they are attached to the rafters around 6 feet from the floor. I use hay on my floor. Sorry you lost yours but in 5 years of doing this the only problem I had was a bulb going out. Temps here aren't that cold average 30's with 20's for a few days. Some years we can be in the teens or single digits but I am a mile from Mobile Bay so humidity levels are higher and there is a lot of rain. I let the hens out in the morn and put them up at night. I only use one lamp for the 8 foot long coop unless it's in teens or below for a few days. I feel it helps when the hens get wet from the rain of heavy fog we have so they don't get sick that often in fact I don't think I have ever have any die from anything but the typical old age problems. But I agree heat source plus fuel means there is always a possibility.

Oh yes I noticed the mounting on the pictures. I just use the clamp on spotlight lamps with the cone shields it keeps the heat further away from any possible ignition source.

When I use a heat lamp, it is double or triple attached; clamp, chain to rafter, and wire or cable to another safe anchor. Can't be too careful! I don't heat the coop in winter, just heated bases for the waterers and insulation. Mary

Yeah I know what ya mean LOLOL. iTs so Unsafe I can hold my hand against it for as long as I want. Why do you feel the need to tell people whats safe. I think God gave me enough common sense to know for myself.

Yeah I know what ya mean LOLOL. iTs so Unsafe I can hold my hand against it for as long as I want. Why do you feel the need to tell people whats safe. I think God gave me enough common sense to know for myself.

If you can touch your bare fingers against that lightbulb, it must not be the typical 250W heat lamp, because it does look like one. Is it a heatlamp at all? And you'd be surprised what some folks consider as "common sense". I agree with others that your setup does not look safe in your original photo, but it must not be the common heat lamp if you can touch it like that.

Back
Top Bottom