Warning graphic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Sparkway, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Sparkway

Sparkway Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Essex County New Jersey
    My son came home from school to this scene :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Light Brahma hen 22 wks old first time chicken owner since July. Hawk was eating her. Do you think because she was one of two white birds that made an easy target? There three areas of feathers first pick is all her barred neck feathers second is body and third her . Never thought I would be so upset.
    Never saw a hawk in my yard before. Now I know. Will be building an enclosure soon.
    Thanks for listening Anthony

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. amyandkids

amyandkids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    I'm so sorry for the loss!! I would be heart broken! [​IMG] For your son who found this terrible scene!

3. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    So sorry for you and your son [​IMG] Yes, white chickens stand out more to predators and are easier targets. But really, any chicken can be an easy target. Definitely get your remaining chickens in a safe enclosure. The hawk will probably be back. They like to sit up high on branches, etc to scan the area, then they swoop down to snag their prey.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I've had Light Brahmas, however the hawk chose one of my Barred Rocks. Sorry for your loss.

5. The Yakima Kid

The Yakima Kid Cirque des Poulets

Given how acute a hawk's vision is, I suspect that color doesn't make much difference although it might matter with less keen sighted predators, such as dogs and coyotes.

Hawks are very bold - we have at least one that sits on plant supports and even the top of the coop in the backyard and doesn't bother to move until we're very close - once my husband got within arm's reach of one. I've walked up on it and watched it rather casually luft over about ten to fifteen feet to sit on the back fence where it sits and regards the world around it.

6. Utard

Utard Chillin' With My Peeps

Chickens out running around are like a buffet to a hawk.

I just discovered this morning that a hawk just decided to eat a house finch on the top of the coop. I am sure the hens were freaking out as this was happening?

Just glad I fully enclosed the run with chicken wire.

And Hawks have very, very good vision. You will have to cover the area with chicken wire to protect them now he knows where the buffet line is.

7. Sparkway

Jul 12, 2013
    Essex County New Jersey
    I have 6 left. I do have an 8 foot enclosed run but I usually let them free range. For now they will stay in until I have a large pen built. Thanks all for the support :)

8. Sparkway

Jul 12, 2013
    Essex County New Jersey
    Will the hawk come back if I leave the dead clicken out? I would like to "id" it. ;)

9. Utard

Utard Chillin' With My Peeps

I really, really doubt it.

Hawks and Falcons are fresh meat eaters. They only scavenge if the local food supply is very low. And that would be a very, very rare occurrence. An Eagle is a different story. Some of them are known scavengers (like the bald eagle).

10. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Hawks hunt for food that is living, but they eat food that is dead. How long a hawks' food has been dead and how it died is a matter of taste for that particular species of hawk. Some hawks are picky eaters, others not so much. Red tail hawks seem happy eating road kill. The falcons like peregrines, merlins, goshawks, and sparrow hawks prefer to kill their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by