(Warning photos attached) Head injury on chick caused by older chicks and hen - worried about brain

How old is she? I would keep giving her heat as you normally wound. Make sure that the lamp is at least 18 inches above her. Raise the lamp to lower the temp and keep a thermometer in the warmest spot on the floor.

She’s only a week old. She’s had a rough start. Her mother hen did this on mother’s day. How awful lol
Thank you for your help. I’m going to give a chick chair a go and see how she does.

Hi everyone. The chick did not make it. She took a turn for the worse today and was suffering. I had to put her down which was heartbreaking. I think they damaged some of the brain when they pecked at her. she stopped eating and drinking on her own. She also couldn’t stand or walk correctly today. Her little feet were losing color as well due to the lack of nutrients I’m assuming. Thanks for all of the help and support. <3

Thank you so much. She was suffering today so I had to put her down unfortunately. (I’m heartbroken) Thank you so much for your help and information though.

Hi everyone. The chick did not make it. She took a turn for the worse today and was suffering. I had to put her down which was heartbreaking. I think they damaged some of the brain when they pecked at her. she stopped eating and drinking on her own. She also couldn’t stand or walk correctly today. Her little feet were losing color as well due to the lack of nutrients I’m assuming. Thanks for all of the help and support. <3

Poor thing, sorry to hear that- thought for sure she'd make it after three days, but we have to make the hard calls sometimes. I believe knowing when to make those calls is what makes us stronger & more compassionate people. We also learn from these experiences as sad as they are. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Back
Top Bottom