Warning!!! This is gross!

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
Every time I go out back to take care of my chickens my two dogs come with me and go around picking up little “treasures” if you know what I mean. It grosses me out!! DH thinks it’s funny he calls it chicken butter and says that it’s not going to hurt the dogs but I hate it.

I won’t go out there without the dogs, when I’m home alone there is nobody around for miles and they are my security blanket. Should I be worried about them picking something up from the chickens?

I doubt you need to worry. I have had dogs follow the horse around at my mom's house.
wink.png
And dogs have been known to eat some pretty nasty things and roll in them too. I guess, be a little on the look out for worms, but if your chickens are good healthy ladies (and gents, if any), I doubt you have anything to worry about. Good luck!

Last edited:
I've had dogs that were impossible to keep out of the litter box. Vet told me it was like a treat to them. Maybe the same with the chickens. One less thing to clean up if you ask me.

We used to call our lab 'Litter Lips' you can imagine why and she lived to old age

maybe there is a preservative in cat Doolie that science is waiting to discover.
lol.png

My husband and I have said several times since we got chickens that we should collect up all the chicken poop, compress it into the shape of a bone and sell it as a new kind of dog treat. I think I could make big bucks! My dogs love chicken poop and follow my chickens around waiting for fresh "treats".

ewwww! mine don't eat the "chicken butter", but my doxi eats the ahem "baby butter" if she can get into the diaper pail:sick no wonder her breath is AWFUL!

Just don't let your dog lick you after those "poopsicle treats"
eeewww
Our Beagle loved the cat 'treats' as a pup and the kids still go around saying....

"Whatcha doing?
Eating chocolate
Where'd ya get it?
The kitty dropped it!"

Our dog licks the chicken poo that makes it over the outside of the 2x4's around their coop and run, and then she licks her own pile of "stuff".
tongue.png
It is just nasty, but to her, it is a scrumptious treat!!!!!!!

Our German pointers loves ducky treats. She could careless about the actual bird as long as they leave something for her.

Our poor little Great Pyr Mastiff X LOVES the fecal gold around here, but sadly, it gives her the runs... Just dont know what I am a-gonna do about it....

Back
Top Bottom