Warning!!! This is gross!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by BettyR, Aug 7, 2008.

1. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    Every time I go out back to take care of my chickens my two dogs come with me and go around picking up little “treasures” if you know what I mean. It grosses me out!! DH thinks it’s funny he calls it chicken butter and says that it’s not going to hurt the dogs but I hate it.

I won’t go out there without the dogs, when I’m home alone there is nobody around for miles and they are my security blanket. Should I be worried about them picking something up from the chickens?

2. risurocket

risurocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I doubt you need to worry. I have had dogs follow the horse around at my mom's house. [​IMG] And dogs have been known to eat some pretty nasty things and roll in them too. I guess, be a little on the look out for worms, but if your chickens are good healthy ladies (and gents, if any), I doubt you have anything to worry about. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  3. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I've had dogs that were impossible to keep out of the litter box. Vet told me it was like a treat to them. Maybe the same with the chickens. One less thing to clean up if you ask me.

4. denahli

denahli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    We used to call our lab 'Litter Lips' you can imagine why and she lived to old age

maybe there is a preservative in cat Doolie that science is waiting to discover.[​IMG]

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My husband and I have said several times since we got chickens that we should collect up all the chicken poop, compress it into the shape of a bone and sell it as a new kind of dog treat. I think I could make big bucks! My dogs love chicken poop and follow my chickens around waiting for fresh "treats".

6. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    ewwww! mine don't eat the "chicken butter", but my doxi eats the ahem "baby butter" if she can get into the diaper pail:sick no wonder her breath is AWFUL!

7. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Just don't let your dog lick you after those "poopsicle treats"
    eeewww
    Our Beagle loved the cat 'treats' as a pup and the kids still go around saying....

"Whatcha doing?
    Eating chocolate
    Where'd ya get it?
    The kitty dropped it!"

8. go-veggie

go-veggie Flew the Coop

Our dog licks the chicken poo that makes it over the outside of the 2x4's around their coop and run, and then she licks her own pile of "stuff". [​IMG] It is just nasty, but to her, it is a scrumptious treat!!!!!!!

9. Elfy

Elfy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2007
    New Berlin, WI
    Our German pointers loves ducky treats. She could careless about the actual bird as long as they leave something for her.

10. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Our poor little Great Pyr Mastiff X LOVES the fecal gold around here, but sadly, it gives her the runs... Just dont know what I am a-gonna do about it....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by