warning, venting about ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, May 28, 2008.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    My dad is so mean sometimes. I wanted some call ducks and the ducks I currently had were too big for our pond (just a small thing I dug for them). So I gave them to a friend of my family. But now he says that I can't get any call ducks. I told him I have the money and he still says no. I tried to tell him he let me get the other ducks and I asked him why he let me get them. But he still says no. I am so mad, I had been emailing back and forth a guy who has call ducks and now I have to say no. I think he's a member of BYC so if you're on here _____ its not a definate no yet. I really want ducks. If I had known I couldn't get call ducks if I got rid of these ducks I wouldn't have gotten rid of them. I am so mad. Ducks are fun to have around and I wanted some small ones but now I don't have any ducks [​IMG].

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    What was the reason your Dad said no? Were your ducks getting into areas they shouldn't and making messes? Does he just not like them? Are they too loud? Is he afraid he will end u p taking care of them? There has to be a reason. Most parents don't just say no to be mean.

3. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    You got rid of your other ducks because "they got too big" for the pond you dug and now you want "small" ducks. Small ducks get to be big ducks in no time. If you were no longer caring for the other ducks, had lost interest, and gave them away - I wouldn't allow you to get more ducks either. Just my parent point of view. I'm sure your dad has similar reasons. Stomping your foot and pouting is not a mature way to handle things and getting ducks just because "they are fun to have around" and not be willing or able to properly care for them isn't mature either.

Edited to add: That by "small" ducks I mean "baby" ducks. Baby ducks are cute but grow up fast and it sounds like you lost your interest in your grown ducks and just wanted more baby ducks.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, call ducks do stay pretty small, ruth [​IMG]

But otherwise I think ruth has said some pretty good things even if you don't want to hear them, Kurt... you are probably a LOT more likely to make progress with your dad if you get over being mad and approach this from the angle of "Ok, dad, so what do I need to do differently, here, in order to make call ducks a more reasonable possibility?"

Also, I know it is difficult to be young and seriously want ducks (well ok, I'm lying, I only know about the first part [​IMG]) but really truly, ducks are NOT going to go extinct by the time you're older or grown up. So, worst comes to worst, it's just a delay, not No Ducks Forever.

Good luck,

Pat

5. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    I was taking good care of the ducks. But they needed more swimming space. Terrielacy, I gave them away as my choice because they would be happier if they didn't have to touch the bottom of their pond whenever they swam in it. I guess you guys are right, I do have to listen to my dad. I'll wait a bit.

6. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Speaking as a dad: It's our job to ruin your life and make you miserable. We try to be professional about it.

7. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I know what your going through chicken_boy_kurt. My dad said the bird season has ended for the year. He said that just after he said I could get rouens from my friend FOR FREE!

8. RebelsHope

RebelsHope Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    wisconsin
    I think it is great that you were concerned about the happiness of your previous ducks, but do you really think that not touching the bottom of their pool would make them happy?

I am sure that many of us here have wading pools and what not for our ducks and they touch the bottom of them. I really doubt that any of us would say that our ducks are unhappy about that.

Ducks, and most other animals, have some very basic needs that need to be met to make them happy. They need food, water, shelter, enough space to move about freely, and the company of others of their kind. If those needs are meet, most animals are happy. Your little ducks were not wadding around in their pool thinking, "Gee, I wish this were a deeper pool."

I am not trying to make fun of you at all. I just want to point out that getting rid of the ducks you had, just showed a tad bit of immaturity, not that you had any bad intentions. When we take on the care of an animal we should be ready for that responsibility. We should have researched that animal and made sure that we were able to meet the animals needs. If you did not think you could provide a proper place for them to swim, then you should not have gotten them in the first place. I am sure that the place you had was perfectly fine.

I am sure that when you got rid of your ducks you had their best interest at heart. It is interesting though that you say you got rid of them because didn't their pond was big enough, yet you say if you knew that you could not get call ducks you would have kept them. Hmmm...

9. CrowinKing

CrowinKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    Nah u don't have to listen just order them anyway. My dad said that all the time about stuff like that and I did it anyway he got over it. It took him 3 weeks to realize I had a ball python in my bedroom and he hates snakes!!! He knew that, that was just the way I was and he understood it!!!

10. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    My dad would ground me for life if he found any kind of snake in my room. I really want to order them but my mom, who said yes originally, says to wait so I don't make my dad angry. Maybe neaxt year. And RebelsHope, I do think they wanted a deeper pool and a cleaner one, it all drained through the dirt and the hose barely goes out there. And in the summer it gets algae. So I'm going to just take the call ducks down to my creek when I get them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by