WARSHING AIGS [Washing Eggs]

Quote:

yuckyuck.gif

EEEWWW. Is that why some call chicken finger-lickin good?
lol.png

Quote:
I agree. I don't wash my eggs unless I'm selling wholesale. I bought a washer for that. Washing 15 dozen just takes too long for my taste. If I'm giving them away to friends or family or eating them for myself I don't wash them. If they have poo on them I wash it off. Some times I find an egg under their roo and the dogs get those.

Quote:
Me too. I also think egg shells are porous and wetting whatever slime may be on the outside will just help it soak into the inside.

Quote:
I agree. I don't wash my eggs unless I'm selling wholesale. I bought a washer for that. Washing 15 dozen just takes too long for my taste. If I'm giving them away to friends or family or eating them for myself I don't wash them. If they have poo on them I wash it off. Some times I find an egg under their roo and the dogs get those.

i'm with you it does take too long. Unless a customer asks for them to be washed, I explaine to them why I dont (because of the bloom) I have egg wash for those who are skidish

I have to admit, I eat raw eggs pretty often.. every time I make cookies in fact! Which is just about every week with the ones we bring to the nurses at the nursing home, and the garbage men at the dump, and the neighbors... I've NEVER gotten sick, and I don't think my chickens carry the salmonella bacteria. On another note, my brother and his wife have an iguana... it is disgustingly spoiled and they KISS IT on the lizard lips ! (*GAG)... but they have never gotten sick from it.... is it possible that iguana doesn't have salmonella either, or are we all just super lucky?

I had this same question. I have been rinsing off in cold water and hand scrubbing just before use. Haven't gotten sick yet, but I think I will switch to warm water now. Ugh!!

Thank you all for your replies--they really help. I will:
1) check to see why that one chicken is laying outside
2) put in some pine shavings
3) put in a light bulb
4) go back to just warshing my aigs in soap and water
5) am glad you don't think my girls are 'brain-damaged' from overheating as chicks...sigh.

When I was a girl someone kidded me for saying 'warsh rag,' which I got from my mother (born 1903) and she got it from her mother, an Oregon pioneer in 1850, and I think it comes from the South. My mother also said 'aig.'

but...please explain zis "bloom"? What is this "bloom"?

Am trying to send a photo of my first bowl full of aigs. Sanguine... Sanguine was my dearest reddish Araucana hen, now buried in the back acre with her sisters, Nina, Simone, and wild Annie. I had no idea they were so unusually smart, but they were compared to this new family of Ameraucana. Since two of my my tribes, the TaraHumara and Yaqui, kinda started the breed I am unusually fond of them. I just saw the baby chicks one day, by accident, and HAD TO HAVE THEM. Genetic memory, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom