Was a nail biter, but my order from Meyer arrived this afternoon

Bad news...

One of the little Exchequers is having leg issues today. There's a little bump, which could be a break and the joint is flat which may be a slipped tendon. I tried getting the tendon back in place. Didn't seem to help. I've splinted the leg and hobbled it. It's in a rubbermaid with a heat plate, food and water. I hope she'll be okay. The Exchequers had been running around like little speed demons, so it's sad to see her having trouble.

I'm a horse girl - I have rolls of vet wrap circulating around my home and I've wrapped open wounds on the legs of massive Shires in the dark, but wrapping a tiny little chick leg is harder than anything I've ever done.

They sell the type for showing. They also sell the hatchery variety of Barred Rocks too.
I've looked through their catalog, and had noticed the heritage br. It being a hatchery, I didn't anticipate them being much better than the regular br. I hope you will leave them a good review (with a picture) on their website. He really is beautiful.

I've looked through their catalog, and had noticed the heritage br. It being a hatchery, I didn't anticipate them being much better than the regular br. I hope you will leave them a good review (with a picture) on their website. He really is beautiful.
I rarely leave anybody a review. That's just me though.

They're really nice birds, the females are bossy, but are easily picked up, the males are big teddy bears.

I think I have 2 Cuckoo Marans. Lightly feathered legs on both. I briefly thought the second one (last two photos) was Blue Cuckoo, but no leg band.

God, I hope they're not roosters.

I wanted another Marans hen, but was hesitating because of the last 3 Marans pullets I ordered, 2 turned out to be roosters. I was willing to risk it for a Splash Marans, but not for a Cuckoo. I already have a Blue Cuckoo Marans rooster...

And the plot thickens... I just contacted Meyer and the chicks in the rare breed assortments that are normally banded aren't always banded.

"They can be banded, but they aren't always banded with assortments"

I have no idea what I have. Why did I do this to myself? :confused:
I was going to ask if the ones with the with on the top of their head were marans. Thay look like little lightning bolts. If so they are marans. I have 3 Golden Cuckoo Marans

I was going to ask if the ones with the with on the top of their head were marans. Thay look like little lightning bolts. If so they are marans. I have 3 Golden Cuckoo Marans
Oh the Golden Cuckoos are so pretty! Do you have photos?

I believe I have 2 White Cochins, 2 BCM's (feathered legs), 2 (blue) Cuckoo Marans (feathered legs) and then I'm not sure.

I have two more light grey chicks with clean, blue legs (Andalusians?) and another med/dark silver chick with clean blue legs and pink toes that is absolutely glorious. It may also be an Andalusian, but it's very calm. And all three of the mystery grays are pretty bulky, but no leg feathering. Maybe Green Queens? I really don't know.

The last one, I think, is a barred rock. It may be a special barred rock. I hope it is and winds up looking like MysteryChicken's .

The little Exchequer healed up well and is back in the brooder with the others. Although, life being as it is, last night I accidentally stepped on the toes of my 2mo leghorn pullet when I was trying to get her back into her run. She's limping today. I feel terrible.

Back
Top Bottom