Was about to throw out egg and it peeped!

Htxchicks

Songster
Nov 29, 2020
So I had one egg in the nest with my broody that I wasn’t sure if it was a quitter. So I put it with my Cochin who was insisting on siting on air! Well I was going to throw it out after it was 5 days past the rest of the hatch. But it had a pip hole. When I took a bit of the shell off from the pip hole the chick peeped! I saw it move a bit the membrane looks very dry…. What should I do!

Too high in my opinion. 62% is good enough. You could coat the membrane with a little bit of coconut oil. How much time has passed since the egg pipped?

Did you calibrate the humidity?
No I wasn’t able to calibrate the humidity because I had to take it away from the second broody because she keep moving into a position with the pip upside down. No idea how long it’s been piped. All the other hatch mates pipped Sunday and Monday and by Wednesday momma number one wouldn’t sit anymore. So I gave this egg to my Cochin.

I’ve got it down to lower 60% now. Thanks for advice.

I just saw the chick it has all of its beak outside of the membrane and is slowly working it’s way through! I even saw it’s little eye looking for a second as it was wiggling around making the hole.

little chipmunk

Attachments

• 304F4198-4BDB-4E92-A7A9-BCC9F361857F.jpeg
    304F4198-4BDB-4E92-A7A9-BCC9F361857F.jpeg
    372.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 63F76EE7-771F-4E00-B126-FE9529663FEA.jpeg
    63F76EE7-771F-4E00-B126-FE9529663FEA.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 2
Would your broody w the 4 chicks accept it? Sometimes you can sneak the new chick in overnight. Some have reported success. I have to admit it didn’t work for mine. And they were closer in age, just 2 days apart. Mama wasn’t having it.
Raising a single chick is no fun. They need others around them.
This chick is a full week behind I don’t think she would accept it. It’s still drying in the incubator and outside there’s a tropical storm coming so I’m nervous to take a single chick out there. I have a broody Cochin I could give the chick to.

I know some chicks near by hatching the 17th. I could get a pair after the storm passes and give them all to my broody Cochin to raise.

This chick is a full week behind I don’t think she would accept it. It’s still drying in the incubator and outside there’s a tropical storm coming so I’m nervous to take a single chick out there. I have a broody Cochin I could give the chick to.

I know some chicks near by hatching the 17th. I could get a pair after the storm passes and give them all to my broody Cochin to raise.
My broody excepted chicks that were 1-2 weeks younger. She raised both batches, 6 chicks. I placed them under her at night and during the day. She LOVES being a mom 😍

Back
Top Bottom